Sunday, November 30, 2008

After a Break for Thanksgiving,


I'm back talking about the Medieval Cat in the Pet Guardian Angel series that I'm doing for the ANG Auction. The photo above shows the cat's wings underway. I've been charmed by Judy Harper's talk of skip tent stitching an area, then filling in the non stitched parts. Judy always puts her tent stitches on the raised thread intersection so that the bead sinks a bit and is held on the thread intersection of the canvas where it is not raised by the skip tent stitches. So I thought I'd try it for the wings. Above you see the entire wing stitched in white pearl cotton #8 from DMC in skip tent stitches. I've put white beads in the unstitched intersections which means rows of beads, which you see on the bottom left side. The bottom right of the wings is just the perle cotton stitches. See how regular the left side's beads look? At the top I started putting beads on top of the skip tent/bead rows to make it look less regular. I didn't like the rows being so even. I thought wings should be a little messy looking so they'd seem to be in motion. This photo shows all the steps, however. That way you can help figure out what you like and use this on anything you are stitching.

Again, the top of the wing has the skip tent in perle cotton, beads in the unstitched skipped areas, and random beads attached on top. The rest of the wing also has skip tent in perle cotton, but the bottom right side has no beads at all yet and the bottom left side has just the beads in the skipped areas among the skip tent stitches. Make sense?

I hope you'll try this. It is a fun thing to do.

Jane/Chilly Hollow

Main blog at http://blog.360.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

No comments: