Sunday, November 30, 2008

I Can't Let It Be


After I looked at the last photo of the Medieval Cat with her wings being beaded, I realized I needed to talk about the squashed turkeywork on the ruff around her neck. This piece was scanned, so the turkeywork loops were mashed flat by the scanner when I put the piece upside down on it to take the image. That makes it look rather odd.

This new photo has the second area of fur turkeyworked and the wings finished. Again, the turkeywork is mashed down. Think of this piece with the loops not mashed flat by glass and you'll know better what turkeywork looks like before the loops are cut.

As I've said before, there are many ways to do turkeywork. There are punch needle gadgets you can use (M's Canvashouse sells them -- see link below) but although they make for fast and dense turkeywork, you have to glue the back. I never liked that since I have trouble turning the canvas over for the glue without disturbing the loops which it is very easy to pull out. I think denser loops which wouldn't pull out easily would solve this problem but it is just as easy for me to sew each loop individually.


I think traditional turkeywork leaves a line of stitches at the top of the section you stitched this way which I find hard to hide. Cutting my loops a bit longer probably would take care of this, but I found a turkeywork variation I liked and have stuck to that. The moral of the story is to experiment a bit to find the technique you like for turkeywork.


Next time I'll talk about how I trim the stitch. Stay tuned!
Jane/Chilly Hollow

Main blog at http://blog.360.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

No comments: