Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Rearranging the Furniture


I'm rearranging the furniture here at Blog this morning. I get bored with the same old look and when you open a surprise package you get in the mail and find the little Kathy Schenkel stocking shown on the right, well, it's time for a new header to welcome visitors to The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure!

This darling treat, customized for me, was a present from Judie Solomon of Thistle Needleworks in Connecticut. You may remember that I interviewed Judie here a few weeks back. Judie graciously sent me photos of some of her stitching, including little KS Designs mini stockings she'd stitched for her kids. I jokingly asked to be adopted and Judie took me up on it!

There are many more little KS Designs mini stocks that come with felt animals and other things like my hospitality pineapple. You can see some of them on Judie's needlepoint site--
http://store.apneedlearts.com/miwdo.html

Thank you again, Judie. It was a special treat and it is beautifully stitched. Wish you guys could see the tiny details. I stitch a lot for other folks but rarely receive a needlepoint piece made just for me. I appreciate it!

And many thanks to Kathy Schenkel for allowing me to use her hospitality stocking as a header to welcome folks to Blog.

Jane/Chilly Hollow
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

6 comments:

NCPat said...

This looks fantastic! I also saw you snuck in a picture of the Ch'ing, and the mermaid.....so cute!! You are very clever today!!

ChitownStitcher said...

That is too cute. I have never seen it in a shop, but that would be a great housewarming gift for people. Of course if you are a ding-a-ling like me, you'd have to have the pineapple explained to you. When we moved 4 years ago, a couple brought us a pineapple shaped candle holder and I graciously thanked them, thinking that they must have had it left over from their recent marriage, because we live in Illinois, not Hawaii. Then the female half of the couple (who was crazy enough to marry my ex-husband) explained about the pineapple being a hospitality gift.

Anyway, back to the stocking - I love the stitches on the sideing of the house. Can you decipher what it is?

Jan Eaton said...

Hi Jane! Liz Marley told me you've got a new blog so here I am :o) Jan x

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

JAN!!!! How are you?! It is lovely to hear from you. Now, tell us what all you've been up to.

Jane, sitting down to listen and admire Jan's stitching here in CH

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Nancy, the stitches Judie choose for the siding are very simple bands of stitches. The first row is just tent stitches all the way across. This is done in a light greyish-tan color. The second row is a long diagonal / done tall enough for the second stitch in the row to be three little tent stitches stacked in a diagonal. You alternate between the long diagonal and the three little stacked tent stitches all the way across the row. This second row is in an overdye that is a yellowish brown shading to light brown and back again. Then for the 3rd-4th row you repeat rows 1 and 2. This is done all the way down the side of the house. Very simple, very effective. I hope that makes sense. Perhaps Judie will see this and know what the stitch is called, but I've never seen it before. It is perfect for siding in a small area. The stocking is barely 4 inches high.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Yes Pat, I'm a sly dog! LOL

I've started working on Ch'ing and will talk about him in a few days when his background is stitched. It takes a while. The mermaid is one of the new Kelly Clark canvases and I think she is a hoot.

Once I have a few more pet guardian angels in house, I'll post photos of how they look. Yours are magnificent!