Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Brown Tweed?



Didn't get much done last night on the liquor bottle shelves as we were watching a good science fiction thriller (Push) which I needed to pay attention to. I am starting to think the contrast between the dark shadows and the lighter wood is too stark and I don't like the tweed look of blending my light and dark browns. It may be back to the drawing board on this but luckily it is just tent stitches. They are tedious to rip out but if one is careful they don't damage the canvas when removed....

I'll work on South Seas Fiji tonight while I mull this over.

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

9 comments:

Denise & Linda said...

Oh, I don't know Jane. I like the way the shelves looked, at least in the photo.

Denise

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Thanks for the input, Denise. Sometimes we get too close to our pieces and can't judge how they look. I've put it up on the counter where I can look at it in passing tonight and will stitch on my other piece while I mull this over.

MNStitcher said...

I like the dark shadow color - I think that color is perfect. Maybe just the light is too tan looking and not enough brown (or its just the scan color)? I would be tempted just to find a different lighter brown and leave the dark alone.

Sara Leigh said...

My two cents: I agree with you. The contrast is too stark, maybe the dark should be a little lighter. Of course, this is based on the picture; only you can judge the real thing.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your looking at the photo and telling me what you think. I'll rummage around in my thread stash and see what other browns I have. Like most of you, I like the dark color and the light color is an exact match to the lightest painted area. I just need a transition color. Maybe a lighter dark brown will help? Or a darker light brown? Or maybe I'll leave it. It all depends....

Anonymous said...

I was thinking yesterday that maybe you could do the whole area in the darker color basketweave, and couch whatever lighter color over it (2 strands of Perle 5, for instance?)
Cleta

NCPat said...

I like the dark one, but do think the light is too light....hope you find a fiber you can use for a new middle ground.

ChitownStitcher said...

I'm with MNStitcher - the light is too tan or too pink on my screen. It's too something anyway.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

The light color is a perfect match to the background cinnamon color, so I'm not worried about it. It is the medium shade giving me trouble. Color is so hard!