Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Geisha's Tassels



Last night I finished the navy tassels. They are worked in a mix of gold 002 Kreinik (straight lines around the knots), Splendor navy #S872 and metallic navy Snow #17.  The long lengths are just straight or slanted stitches to fill the area and the tassels are stem stitch of both the Splendor silk and the Snow metallic.  You don't see the Snow well in the photo but in person it is a subtle and elegant touch.

The only thing I have to complete now are the squiggles on the trim of the tunic at the neckline under the shawl collar and at the hem.  Which is a good thing as the instructions for the cameo ornament I'm stitching for a Christmas present arrived yesterday.  I'll gather my stitching supplies for that tonight after I finish the Rabbit Geisha.  She will be put away for a while until after Christmas as my finisher is too busy to work on her right now.

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

9 comments:

NCPat said...

Very nice! The Snow does sparkle in the enlargement too!

Denise & Linda said...

Jane, this came out so beautifully! The fan is exquisite! What will you do with it? Pillow? Standup? Just lovely....
Denise

Monica said...

Very nice. i am a little surprised you did not lay thread and couch it down and then leave the thread ends loose at the end for the effect of having the tassel 3-D. not sure where i thought i read that you may do that. Ican't believe how fast you finish a project - it would take me forever to do one this large. Nice job! Looking forward to seeing this new project you got in the mail...

ChitownStitcher said...

Jane it is beautiful. I'm as curious as Denise, how are you going to finish it?

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Denise, this will go on the outside of a tote bag. Because of the damage I didn't want to frame it and I think a standup would be a bit of stress on the weak spots near the edge.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Monica, one can do a canvas lots of different ways. I really didn't want a 3-D effect on the tassels as I want folks looking at the fan instead of the geisha's feet. And of course I am couching the squiggles on her tunic so I am a bit sick of couching right now.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Glad you can see the sparkling Snow, Pat. I can't on my monitor but they all differ.

Monica said...

About the couching, i see - i just thoguth i recalled reading that some days ago in one of the postings - it is possible it was in a comment, not your posting. sorry. that will be one dynamite tote bag and if it were mine, i would never "tote" it! :-) i would be afraid of someone rubbing against it or snagging it or getting a pen mark on it. that is why that is the one thing i have not finished a project into. I did a purse ten years ago and it hangs in my bedroom as i do not want to risk marring it by actually using it. how do you overcome those fears? therapy? seriously, good luck tonight finishing it!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

You know, Monica, letting the strands fall freely would be a wonderful look for the right canvas. Wonder where you saw it? I remember it, too, but not where.

We need additional brain power, don't we? Oh, well, someone will know and tell us.

As for actually using a tote bag, it'll be for special occasions only. I may even end up selling it or giving it away also. My family love my stitching and I have a lot of things I've given them over the years. Still, we can always stitch another tote bag, you know. I like using things like this occasionally.

But NP slippers, well, I couldn't ever bear to wear those!