Sunday, March 14, 2010

Mismatched Windows


First of all, let me state firmly that I HATE THE TIME CHANGE.

Thank you for letting me get that off my chest.

Secondly, my windows are mis-matched.  Sigh.

I don't know if you read the Comments yesterday or not, but Pamela pointed out in a comment yesterday that the side windows should not be level.  The tiny one on the left should be a thread or three lower than the one on the right for the perspective to be correct.  I agree with her but I'm not pulling it out and restitching correctly just yet.  Remember, I have to stitch the exterior wall around these tiny windows.  I don't know what stitch I will use yet but unless it is tent stitch, compensating around the tiny windows will probably draw attention to the fact that they are not identical and I don't want anyone looking at the side windows.  I want the front windows to stand out.  So I'm leaving things alone for now.  I may indeed pull out the left tiny window later on.  It all depends on what stitch I choose for the walls.

I do have to pull out the window on the left front door.  Can you tell it is larger than the window on the right door?  I didn't realize this until yesterday after I had chosen a stitch for the door panels below the windows, stitched two, then realized that the left one was larger than the right.  I will have to rip out the larger left window and door panel and restitch them to the correct size.  How I managed to count the windows over and over again and end up with two sizes is something only other dyslexics can understand.

But rip out I shall, probably later today.  Right now I'm going to pour more coffee and go stare at the Mindy trunk show (25% off and free shipping!) at the Nimble Needle.
http://thenimbleneedle.blogspot.com/

Then I plan to look at the new congress cloth colors from Zweigart,
http://www.stitchersworkshop.com/blog/?p=203

and stare at Pierrette's stumpwork goldfish and wonder if I'll ever be able to attach the Tardis door using stumpwork tehniques.
http://mystitchinggallery.blogspot.com/2010/03/gracie-ganet-burr-designer.html

Jane, stomping off in the heavy rain for more coffee (sigh)

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

8 comments:

Carol in Indian Springs Village said...

Jane, I am right there with you on the time change. And the older I get, the longer it takes me to get over it each year. I've solved that this year by taking a couple of days off and digging through my unruly needlework stashes to put some things in order. Spring cleaning the stash seems to put me in a much better mood and gives me the energy to get started on one of my WIPs. Best of luck on the windows!

NCPat said...

We all hate the time change....pick one and stick with it I say! Anyway, don't be too upset, it still is looking great and you are doing very well working it out as you go!

Anonymous said...

Idea - Could you add a stitch or two to the bottom of the one that should be lower and a stitch or two to the top of the one that should be higher?

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Anon, that's a good idea. Let's look at the photo and see how much room there is.

Hummm.... I might add 2 stitches to the bottom of the right side window and see if it makes things look better. I may or may not then remove 2 stitches from the left side window. It is easier to rip out and restitch than gently remove a stitch or two and reweave the ends of something this small. The windows are 11 stitches in all, if I remember correctly.

Good idea! I am putting the side windows on the back burner until I get the front ones right but I'll not forget your great idea. Thanks!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Carol, have fun staying home and reorganizing your stash! That sounds like the perfect response to losing an hour one morning.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Pat, thanks for the encouragement. Yesterday was just a frustrating day with the flooding, the time change, and of course mismatched windows all at once!

Pierrette =^..^= said...

Hi Jane,

I must say that it is so much easier to learn through other people's mistakes than having to do the darn thing ourselves (big grin). That could also explain why I don't usually create stuff from scratch.

As for the stumpwork part, attaching the door to the stitched canvas, I think that will be the least of your worries. It should be relatively easy.

Pierrette =^..^=

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Thanks, Pierrette. I think....

LOL