Thursday, May 12, 2011

Threading Beading Needles

LauraZee posted a comment on the Blog article that mentioned Pace needles saying that she had trouble threading a beading needle. Since Comments are not working quite right this morning, I thought I'd answer LauraZee's comment here.

Sometimes changing to another brand of beading needle helps.  Some have larger eyes than others (although a large eye isn't much help with tiny beads).  Vicky DeAngelis says she likes Bohin beading needles and Mary Arden beading needles.  Looks like Mary Arden needles (which I've never heard of before) are English needles distributed by Colonial Needle.
http://www.colonialneedle.com/cgi-bin/quikstore.cgi?category=NEEDLES_-_Beading&search=yes

Bohin beading needles are imported from France.  By the way, John James beading needles are very popular because they are the normal needle length instead of being three inches long like most beading needles you find at fabric stores.  Personally I love the longer needles but not everyone does.
http://www.needlestack.com/WebStore/Accessories/Needles.html

I use the old wire loop threaders to thread my beading needle.  I buy them whenever I see them because they seem to be harder to get.  After I open the package of threaders, I line them up on a sheet of waxed paper on the kitchen counter, then put a drop of Super Glue on the base where the wire attaches.  This makes them last a lot longer.
http://assistivetech.net/search/productDisplay.php?product_id=39966

I hope some of these ideas help you with your beads, Laura!

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com and at http://chstitchguides.blogspot.com

5 comments:

Donna said...

Great tip about adding superglue to those wire needle threaders. I never thought of that.

Suestich said...

I agree with Donna. Thanks for the tip. Am going to do that today. Love your Red Geisha and look forward to seeing what you are doing to the hair.

Sue V
Ca

Needles Everywhere said...

Good idea with the superglue. Those little wire threaders drive me crazy. I break one everytime I use one, but they seem to be the only kind that work. Oh, come to think of it, when I did alot of beading I used a dental floss threader. It was pretty easy to use. I'll have to go through my supplies and see if I can find one.

laura z. said...

Hi Jane,
I wanted to comment the other day but Blogger was down. Bad Blogger! lol
Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you so much for all of this wonderful information on beading needles! I think I will experiment with all and see which one works for me. That's the fun part, right? Also, love your idea about the superglue, I am always ripping the wire off those threaders when using them..grrrrr.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Hi, Laura! Happy to help with beading tips, especially if experimentation is involved. I feel like the Mad Scientist, trying everything while smoke comes out of test tubes in the background! LOL

The Super Glue works great. We put a lot of tension on those little wires trying to get thread through those tiny eyes.