Thanks to the ANG Facebook page, I just discovered that Erica Wilson has died. Her popular books and tv series led me to teach myself crewel when I was in college. That was my first step on my road to needlepoint fun. Thank you, Erica. The needle arts in America are richer because of you.
UPDATE: Mary Corbet has a few thoughts about Erica Wilson and her place in stitching history.
Ann also is thinking about Erica. They are right on all counts. From the things I've been told by folks who knew and worked with Erica, she wasn't above using others and letting people think their work was hers. Not a nice person, in other words, but very very influential. I hope to be a better person and perhaps have a thousandth of her impact on needlepoint some day.
Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
and at http://chstitchguides.blogspot.com
- NEW FOR TNNA COLUMBUS MAY 30-JUNE 1 2015
- Stitch Guides Locator
- Monthly Clubs
- Teach Yourself Needlepoint & Embellishment
- TNNA WINTER 2015 PHOENIX
- Russian Santa Stitch-A-Long
- Tutorials and Hints
- Counted Canvaswork Designers
- Counted Canvaswork Shops
- Needle Felting Needlepoint Canvas Tutorial
- Classes, Retreats, Seminars and Exhibits
- DESTINATION DALLAS 2015
- Online Shops for Overseas Stitchers