Sunday, January 21, 2018

The Kreinik Emergency

Barbara Elmore's Fuchsia

My last project was Barbara Elmore's "Fuchsia," published by Sundance.  Isn't it pretty?!

Notice that the border is three gold stitches wide.  I decided to tent stitch it with Kreinik's size 16 braid in Kreinik's classic gold 002.  I had two spools of the size 16 braid and surely that would be enough, right?

[Everyone starts laughing, and with good reason.]

Sadly one of the spools wasn't totally full and I ran out of Kreinik size 16 braid when there was only about 6 inches of border to go.  What to do?!  I had a lot of Kreinik's size 8 braid in 002 gold so I decided I would use a doubled length of that to finish the border's basketweave.  The color is exactly the same and the size is exactly half of size 16 braid so I thought it might work.  After all, I cannot get Kreinik metallics locally and mail order was going to take nearly a week because of the Thanksgiving holiday.


Size 8 Doubled on Top, Size 16 Below

Sadly, the light reflection on the metallic thread is different.  If you look at the closeup of the gold border you will see the size 8 braid above the empty line of basketweave (pretty level with the top of the magnet) and the size 16 braid below the empty line.  In person the color change is not quite as obvious as in the photo but anyone looking closely will know that the gold isn't quite the same.

Gold Hiding under Lots of Beads

Fortunately for me, I had always planned to scatter beads at random on top of the gold border, thus hiding the slight difference in how the size 8 and size 16 reflect the light.  So I managed, but if you cannot distract the eye in your canvas, take the time to mail order more of the size of Kreinik you need.  You'll be glad you didn't fake it.

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
and at http://chstitchguides.blogspot.com
© Copyright December 19, 2017 Jane M. Wood. All rights reserved.

6 comments:

Sara Leigh said...

You nut. Waste Knot Needlepoint carries the full line of Kreinik braids, from #4 through #16. We don't carry everything Kreinik makes, but Lori did expand all of the braids to carry most or all of the colors. We even have some of the discontinued colors still in stock. You should always give us a call so we can mail you that emergency thread if you can't get to us! This looks beautiful, by the way.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I know! I can always come to you for an emergency shipment of Kreinik but sometimes the temptation to try something else from my stash is overwhelming! This is the CH NP ADVENTURE, after all! LOL

biddie1031 said...

Jane! Fabulous work! I think you're pretty darn clever with doubling the #8 braid, and I especially like the random beads on the border. Love the background, and have just spent about 10 minutes squinting at it to see how you managed it. The whole project is spectacular in every detail. Cheers! Meg van den Berg, Easton, MD

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Thanks, Meg. I'm glad you like how it turned out. The background is really simple, inspired by a line drawing done by Kimberly Smith. I did turn the canvas on its side to stitch the rows, though.

NCPat said...

Good way to handle the issue! Love what you did with this!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Thanks, Pat. I love how it turned out, even though doubling size 8 Kreinik isn't a real solution to running out of size 16.