Monday, January 18, 2010

Kimberly Laying Tool Case Tips

After I finish each project, I like to look back and think about what I learned from it.

The Kimberly Design laying tool case was a counted thread piece, and I'm not as practiced working charted items as I am with painted canvases.  Remember how I didn't stitch all the little straight metallic lines in the original arched border because I didn't notice they were anywhere except in the corners until I had started on the designs in the middle of the front and back?  That is a reminder to me to read and re-read all instructions over and over again when doing counted thread.  You might pick up all the subtleties of stitching a counted thread piece right away, but I don't.

The arched border was the hardest part of the design for me as it had to be counted exactly.  I forgot and counted holes when I started this piece and had to rip out and restitch the original outline of the design.  It is important to count threads when you are laying out a piece because if you count holes, you will short yourself by one.  Don't ask me how this happens, but I have noticed over and over again that it does.  So I'll have to remember to count threads for my next counted thread piece.  Which I will start soon....

The final hint I need to remember when I am stitching is about complicated stitches like the ones that make up the arched border on this piece.  Let me direct you to this diagram of a Jessica.

I've discovered when stitching complicated stitches like this that often the previous stitch covers where the next stitch should start.  So I often come up at 1, go down at 2, and then don't pull my thread all the way snug against the canvas until I come up at 3.  That way I am not covering up 3's hole.

Does anyone else have great tips for counted thread stitching?  I'd love to hear them in the Comments!

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at

The Kimberly Tool Case Is Finished

The Kimberly tool case is done!

I sewed my lining first, making a finished edge first, then folding it up and stitching the central vertical line, then all the pocket lines and finally the edges.  The sewing was easier, even through two layers of Ultrasuede, than I expected but I did take the precaution of clamping my piece together with banker's clips instead of pinning as I was afraid I'd make pin holes that would not come out. Anyone with more experience sewing on Ultrasuede than me may have suggestions in the Comments.

Then I carefully hand stitched the lining to the case.  That took hours because the sewing thread would catch on the bead edging so I had to work slower than usual--and I am not the world's fastest hand sewer at the best of times.

It looks great, though.  Here is the inside.  You'll notice I put all sorts of tools inside, not just scissors and laying tools.  I think this will be a traveling tool case and we need to take many stitching tools with us when we go places.

By the way, I asked Kimberly if the bead set is still available for this counted thread piece.  She says no, but now most folks can buy 14/0, 11/0 and triangular beads and choose their own colors.

Thank you, Kimberly, for permission to blog stitch this piece and post photographs!

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at