When in doubt, pull threads! So I visited my stash and found Flair, DMC perle cotton, Caron's Watercolours and Waterlilies, plus silk ribbon, all in approximately the same teal green as the top feather parts of the lotus fans. Those with access to a shop will probably go through the same process, buying everything they think is the right color to test in stitches.
Then I tried slanting satin stitches in the Watercolours (I used one ply of the three from the strand of Watercolours) and stem stitches in the perle cotton. Nope. All I had in the perle was size 5 which was too thick. The Watercolours also seemed a little too rough looking although I loved the color (068 "Mediterranean") so I mentally decided to try the silk Waterlilies in the same shade elsewhere in the design. Ok, two of four down.
|Flair Versus Silk Ribbon Test|
Sometimes you just have to test stitch to see what works and what doesn't. Next time I'll reveal the finished lotus fan pillars and talk about the body of the cat.
Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
and at http://chstitchguides.blogspot.com
© Copyright May 6, 2016 Jane M. Wood. All rights reserved.