Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Dark and Dreary in Chilly Hollow

I’ve not stitched any for almost a week now due to other responsibilities and the death of my light/magnifier which helped me stitch on overcast days or late at night. The little bit of stitching I still need to do on Fan needs good light which has been scarce recently. It’s rained a lot in Chilly Hollow, which is good for the flowers and water table, but bad for my needlepoint. So it might be a good time to talk about the kinds of lights and magnifiers stitchers in my situation can choose from.

I already know what I want--a Dazor. But what suits my stitching style and the chair I stitch in here in Chilly Hollow may not suit you at all, even if we have the same vision. Look the various lamps Stitcher’s Paradise sells, some with magnifiers and some without. There are a lot of brands and styles and features to choose from!

http://www.stitchers-paradise.com/Lamps_Magnifiers/Lamps_Magnifiers.htm

Some people love the Daylight lights which have special light bulbs that are said to mimic sunlight closely and show colors the way they actually are. Personally I can’t tell the difference, but your eyes may be totally different and this might be exactly what you need when choosing just the right color from similar shades.

I rarely travel, so I am not interested in a portable light--with or without magnification--but you may need something like clip-on magnifiers. Try before you buy. I can’t see anything through these because my close-up vision is very good.

Do you need a light and a magnifier in one item? Will the style you like fit on a table near you or must you have a floor stand model? Is the light too heavy to have clipped to your frame while you stitch? How much are you willing to spend? All these are questions you must figure out for yourself to choose the right light and/or magnifier.

Read carefully the information at the bottom of the page of the link above for more issues that will effect how happy you will be with a certain type of light. I’ve not shown a ton of links to lights as there really are a great many styles but you can get a sense of what is available here. If you belong to a guild, try to set up a show & tell about lights and magnifiers so you can try out a variety of style so you know better what suits you. Then watch for sales, particularly at Joann’s Fabrics online store and at your local shop. The Silver Needle has a big sale on Dazor’s each November and there may be other places where you can buy what you want at a discount. After all, you’d rather spend the money you save on thread, charts, canvases and tools, right?

http://www.silversites.net/daylight.php?Reloaded=True&osCsid=1c853bb8f4d3cadb9d9e9dd2b4799ada

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2738

By the way, sorry to not have posted at Blogspot at the same time I posted this at my main blog. Blogspot would not ever open this morning to add a new blog entry.


Main blog at http://blog.360.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

3 comments:

NCPat said...

Jane, I have a Dazor Floor lamp that DH bought me for Christmas two years ago. Upstairs, I have the Dazor table model, that is probably 15 years old, that clamps onto the table. I leave them both were they are. When we travel, I don't take a lamp, but an around the neck magnifier only. If that helps!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Is there any difference between the two styles of Dazors, Pat? Could you remove the lamp from the table base and put it on a floor base, for example?

Thanks!

NCPat said...

Yes, I can do that. However, I chose not to have just the base and portable. I did not want to unplug and truck it up and down the stairs. LOL