Thursday, August 21, 2008

Belle and Margaret, Front and Center!


I need you ladies to eyeball the globe and tell me if it is improved. In the photo above I replaced the Petite Treasure Braid lines on the Earth with a very thin DMC Metallic machine embroidery thread. It is black with a lot of highlights. This time I didn't enhance the photo a lot so you may not be able to see it all that well. In person it looks good but photographing metallics is a chancy business.

If you look at the hem of the purple under-robe you'll be able to see that I've added the three padded lines of trim. The original paint on the canvas is two lines of gold with a line of silver in the middle but I switched colors so that I have a fat line of silver nearest the hem, a line of pale purple metallic in the middle and then a narrower line of silver. All the threads are Soft Sheen Fyre Werks and I matched the silver in the Fyre Werks carefully to the silver Kreinik so that the two shades would be as close as possible.

I've also added more to the layers on the purple robe but I doubt you can see it since I didn't get very far in this step last night. Instead I concentrated on the basket next to the books at the wizard's feet. I never liked the idea of a basket much. Surely a cauldron is more likely to accompany a wizard on his travels? So I pencil sketched a likely shape on my copy of my plain canvas until I was satisfied I had the shape right and then stitched it using three threads: a black Frosty Rays used to tent stitch the interior so it had extra sparkle, a line of couched black Petite Very Velvet to make the rim of the cauldron stand out a bit (it's very hard to see but in person you can get the idea) and the body of the outside done with black Flair in Mosaic stitch (on the right of the staff) covered with long lengths of the same thread running horizontally (on the left of the staff) to hide the white dandruf and smooth the outside to make it like a real cast iron pot. Once the books behind the cauldron and the staff are stitched, I'll couch down more Petite Very Velvet to make a handle.

Do let me know what you guys think, especially Margaret and Belle.

Thanks!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! Your fiber change and tweaks make the globe look much more 3-D. I like the subtler meridians, and they do look more curved (based on what I can see in the photo). I also think the cauldron is a very cool idea, and the robes are becoming more gorgeous by the day. You are absolutely rocking this piece!

~Belle

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Glad you think this is an improvement, Belle. Next photo I'll darken a lot which will help you see the latitude and longitude lines. I didn't want to do that while I was talking about the black cauldron as I was hoping some detail would show if that area was lighter.

Thanks for the nice compliment!

Jane, waving from CH

NCPat said...

I am not Belle or Margaret, but the globe looks much better. I also like the idea of switching the basket to a cauldron--keeps the theme of a wizard more!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Anybody can comment but since Belle & Margaret had talked about the globe not being "right" I wanted their opinions especially.

Glad you think the cauldron is a better item. Stitching the basket per Joan Thomasson's instructions would have been a blast but I never really thought it fitted into my idea of a magical being and his basket.

Must not have much imagination here in CH!