Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Staff and the Trunk





Last night the wizard's staff had its jewel added. I used a blue flower shaped crystal with a hole in the center from Mill Hill. You probably can't tell from the photo, but I used a blue bead to hold the crystal in place. Bring your needle up in the center of the Holograpic Fyrewerks oval, put the crystal on the needle, then go through the bead's hole and back down through the crystal and tie off on the back side.




I also added the trunk's brass lock, stitching it on using the same brassy gold colored Fyrewerks that the edges of the trunk were stitched in. The really interesting thing I did was I used the same ribbon-like Fyrewerks for the decorative stitches underneath the stone on the top of the staff. Look at the top photo again. See the gold lines at the base of the oval? That's Fyrewerks, too. I simply came up with a short length in my needle, then twisted it over and over and over until the thread resembled a perle-type thread instead of a flat ribbon. Then holding it steady about an inch from the fabric, I plunged the needle. That holds the twist in place. Come up again, repeat for as many times as you need to do the tight cord that resembles how Joan Thomasson decorated the base of her staff's stone.

Main blog at http://blog.360.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The jewel and the trunk lock both look great, but I think you did a particularly nice job on the beard and moustache, Jane!

Mary Lou Heinig said...

The stitching is lovely. I cannot say enough good things about it. Thanks for sharing what you did. Now if I can remember. I am reading your blog every day and enjoying and learning. Thanks.

NCPat said...

Very nice! We can see the bead on the top of the flower as well. He is very wise looking too!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Thanks for the nice compliments, folks. I must say most credit should go to Joan Thomasson who designs very real people in her angel and Santa designs.