Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Bad and Good News

A friend sent me this news link about the Dimensions company, which is closing their XS kit factory. Luckily it sounds as if the employees will be transferred into another division. The news writer doesn't mention Dimensions' NP kits but I imagine they are made at the same location.
http://wfmz.com/view/?id=661113

The good news is I discovered a new silk thread. It is called TESS, which stands for True Embroideries Sleave Silk. This is actually Piper silk, repackaged and distributed by Helen M. Stevens, who is famous for her needle paintings of nature, small animals and insects.
http://www.fritillary.co.uk/Pages/silkthreads.html

Life is full of both bad and good things.

Jane/Chilly Hollow
Main blog at http://blog.360.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read it as only 15 of the 180 employees will be transferred - the rest are "eliminated". :(

Their cross-stitch kits are crap. You can't beat the cute designs, though! I've stitched four of their stockings. The floss shreds, they use a proprietary numbering system; stiffest Aida in the world... but I love the designs. Hopefully they'll release only-available-as-a-kit designs as single patterns.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Darn. I am thinking Good Thoughts for the folks who lost their jobs.

Yes, the Dimensions and Gold Collection and other cheap kits have had really nice designs in the last 5 years or so. Buying one of the kits and substituting nice threads is a great way to do lovely things on the cheap. Or it was!

NCPat said...

I love the looks of the new silks!!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

They are supposed to be very fine and easier to use than removing a few strands from a piece of Japanese silk. I've not seen this in person, however, so I don't really know. Intriguing, though, isn't it?