Saturday, March 7, 2009

Wings for the Renaissance Rat

With my computer back from the shop and the failed wireless card replaced, I can post photos of my Renaissance Rat's wings. Above you see two and a half rows, the solid red one in Patina #PA247 and the metallic one my Kreinik red and gold #203, in size #16 medium braid.

The stitch is called Angel's Wings, on page 74 of Linda Corirossi's "Canvas Embellishment: Exquisite Needlepoint Stitches Made Simple" book. (Note: this is her first book, not "Canvas Embellishment: The Sequel.")
http://www.threadneedlestreet.com/booksndptstitches.htm

I think this looks quite nice as it echoes the zig-zag pattern of her skirt, but runs diagonally NE to SW which is the way the wings are laid out. It also looks like the fancy sleeve of her gown, which is a plus since it ties the outfit together visually. As an added bonus, I've not used this stitch before--something new is always fun to try.

As you can see, I have a lot of background to go and haven't started the rat's face and paw or the collar, either. But I'm getting there!

Jane/Chilly Hollow
Main blog at http://blog.360.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

4 comments:

Beth in IL said...

Love the color you are using. I have finally gotten the fibers I need for my ornament. Now I just need to find time to start stitching.

NCPat said...

This is wonderful! I pondered that stitch for the Royal Dog! Nice choice!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

You thought about using this for the wings, too? Great minds think alike! I wasn't sure what it would look like, but I think it is turning out well. New pix later today!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Excellent news, Beth. I love picking out the threads for a new piece. But getting time to stitch is always the hard part. We are far too busy! I am looking forward to your cat, though. We only have one other cat (mine) so yours is going to be special!