Thursday, September 17, 2009

Fuzzy Neck



Last night I did some of the background stitching and started the first rows of the neck of the Rabbit Geisha.  The neck is dark gray under the edge of the jaw, then lightens to light gray for all the rest of the neck except for the area near the left collar.  I've not stitched that yet but it will be white.  In all cases I am using one strand of my Burmilana in the various shades in modified long and short stitch.  I used two strands (actually, one long length doubled in my needle's eye) for the paws but that looked too heavy for the neck.  I'll have to test the face and ears when I get to them to see whether I go with one strand or two.

I've also outlined the cheeks with a strand of dark gray in outline stitch.  My next step will be to finish the neck area with white Burmilana and then do a second layer of stitches in areas that look skimpy.  The face and ears will be next.  I plan to stitch the cheeks in / and \ directions, stitch the area than runs from the nose to the forehead slantly slightly this way \ and do the side of the face and the ears vertically.  I hope this directional stitching makes the face look more real.

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

2 comments:

NCPat said...

I think the neck area looks good and agree that the single strand is better. I would probably also do his head and ears all in the single strand--better control and you can always add in more packed stitches if needed. LOL

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

So true. It just takes a long time and I'm not feeling patient!