Thursday, September 24, 2009

Rabbit Geisha's Face, with Background


Last night I worked background stitches up to the right side of the Rabbit Geisha's face, then finished off the tip of her right ear with dark gray Burmilana. I think it looks ok.  The tip doesn't seem to dark to me, although I'd like some input from you guys about this.

I did a bit more on the lower kimono stitching, too.  It doesn't look like much but that took me several hours last night.  Still, having her face finished helps.  It shows me the background stitch works well with her figure and gives her a personality.  She seems subdued and elegant, but watchful.

I'd like you to visit her sister occasionally at the Stitching Up a Storm in Alamo City blog.  It has been very instructive to see how the Cat in a Kimono works up as the cat is fancier and has more decorative touches.  Both canvases are by Brenda Stoft although I think the Rabbit is earlier.  You can see how the design evolved to become more Asian in feel with the Cat.
http://janew1102.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is looking terrific. The skirt stitch is a lovely addition. I'm waiting to see how you approach the fan, as it's so much the same color as the garment.
Nancy

Edy said...

Bunny-san is coming along wonderfully. I really like how the background, coming up to her face, helps to actually define her face.

Unknown said...

Jane,
If you want the gray in the ear to stand away from the blue background, you may have to wait to decide about the darkness of the gray when the two colors are next to each other. Does that make sense? Rabbits are beautiful creatures and a favorite of mine.
Judy

Elaine Slotnick said...

I have been following your work on this piece since being directed here to read the interviews with Eileen Aird and her sister. I love the way you did the face and think it is perfect. It's so expressive it seems alive.
I also have a piece that has a burn hole (resulted from the sun shining on my magnifier) and will follow your advice for patching my canvas.
Elaine Slotnick

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

You have a burn, too?!! Oh, Elaine! Well, the patching seems to work. You might want to get some 18 count silk gauze to put on top of your hole and a piece of scrap 18 count to put under the hole. Wait and see how the woven thread works (I'll be working on that over the weekend when I have more time) before you decide how to patch your canvas.

Thanks for the nice compliment on the Rabbit Geisha's face. She seems very alive to me also.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Judy, I think you are right about the background being crucial to setting off the bunny ears. We'll see how it looks when I get the background stitched all around her head.

Wish me luck as that is where the worst burn is.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Bunny-san? Edy, I like that! Thanks! You are right about the background. It does work well with the furry look.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Nancy, the fan in person has a slightly pinker cast to it than the Rabbit Geisha's "golden sand" kimono. I have a rather peach color I am considering, although a lot depends on what stitch I choose for the upper tunic of her outfit. Everything has to work together and the thread I want to use on the fan is much denser than the kimono threads I am considering. Stay tuned, but don't hold your breath. I have a long way to go before I will start on the fan.

Monica said...

very nice job. as for the fan - consider a bamboo/linen type thread in a pinkish beige cast with a giant kalem type stitch - it will look like the fans in the little southern churches we used on hot sunday morning made of palm frond type material woven inthat same style.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Good idea, Monica. I will look up Giant Kalem stitch and see if I can do it in my pinky sand threads....

Thanks for the tip!