Saturday, October 3, 2009

Between the Ears



As you can see, I'm working away on the background, doing split pavilions until my brain gives out each night.  I want to get as much background done as possible until my patience runs out and I switch back to the unstitched areas on the Rabbit Geisha.

The small area between the ears was a real problem to compensate. I think I got the count right but it does not look smooth despite my use of a laying tool  The area is just too small.  In these situations one can pull out the fancy background stitches and do tent stitches that will look fine from a distance.  The eyes of the viewer will not notice the different stitch in such a small area and this might be a better way to go than trying to compensate split pavilions in too narrow an area.  I left my thread on the back loose so I can pull out these stitches but I wanted you to see them so you'd understand why I am going to use tent stitches in this area.

Once the area is ripped out and restitched, I will go back and add a few stitches in Burmilana using my random long and short stitch to the ears to make the join between the split pavilions, the tent stitches and the ears smooth and natural.

I hope to do all this tonight as well as get more split pavilions done as I work toward the upper left hand corner with more background.

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Jane,
I agree. Even though the count may be correct, compensating a large-scale stitch in areas like this just looks distracting. Tent stitch seems like a good choice!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I'm hoping it looks good from a distance and have photos today showing the ears both ways so we can all see just how it turned out.