Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Lessons From Nerdlepoint

Finished Nerdlepoint Tote Bag
As regular Blog readers know, I like to talk about the lessons I learn from each piece I stitch.  Nerdlepoint was an unusual piece for me.  Not only was I stitching a technological marvel that a smart phone with the right app could scan, then be sent to this blog, I set myself the challenge of seeing if I could tart it up a bit and still have the scan work.

I also wanted to demonstrate how layering simple borders could really add a lot to a plain canvas. I wanted to use some fancy threads that I don't usually play around with because I stick mostly to 18 count canvas and plyable threads.  Nerdlepoint is on 13 count, making it a bit of a departure for me.

Inside Pocket
Once the canvas itself was stitched and whip-stitched onto the front of my tote bag, I had the problem of the rear of the canvas showing.  Above is the pocket I assembled from scraps of Ultrasuede.  I used some rough decorative embroidery through 2-3 layers to stitch everything together before actually sewing it to the inside of the tote bag to make a usable pocket for sunglasses and such that hides the raw back side of the canvas on the front.  Even though three layers stitching isn't too hard, but I used a sharp sewing needle and thread, a thimble and the Ultrasuede is the light weight type, not upholstery weight.

I think stretching yourself as a stitcher is a very good thing and it also presents you, Dear Reader, more than the same old thing to watch. I hope it has inspired you to tackle something plain yourself and see what you can make of it.

Thanks, John.  I hope you come up with other technological marvels for your fellow needlepointers to play with.

Now, what coffee shop full of smart phones should I invade carrying my Nerdlepoint tote?

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Invading the coffee-shop would be a good plan. :-) I'd love to see you walk in, and dump your bag on the table. I'd stand back and see how many people actually knew a QR-Code when they saw it, and knew what to do with it. The answers would be interesting, as my tame-Nerd has now seriously got-the-bug since you and I, between us, showed him the way! Let us know if you do have any "flaunting it at Nerds" experiences with The Bag
Glenis

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Glenis, I hope you and your tame office Nerd have great fun with the QR codes and Nerdlepoint. John says there's nothing he'd rather promote with Nerdlepoints than libraries!