Monday, October 17, 2011

Cat Topiary Garden: Bricks and Mortar

Progress on dede Odgen's Cat Topiary Garden
I've been working various areas of the cat topiary garden, putting off going back to the topiaries for now since they are wearing on my nerves. (The next time I decide to stitch a piece this large with this much similar background, someone please shoot me.)  The first thing I did after I finished stitching the sleeping cat was to stitch the yellow mortar lines in the brick border. I used a slightly tan thread (Impressions 1115) instead of the bright yellow that is painted since I don't particularly like the yellow color. That took several nights to stitch all around the border. After that, I returned to the cat and stitched the dark brick the cat sleeps on using plain old mosaic stitch and one ply of Gloriana's Lorikeet wool.  Here's mosaic stitch--
http://www.needlepoint.org/StitchOfTheMonth/1999/99-01.php

The next link shows all the colors of Lorikeet.  It's a 9 ply wool that is quite fine--it'll work on congress cloth or 13 count, depending on the number of plies you use. One ply doesn't quite cover but since the color I am using (Rosewood Dark) is a close match to the painted area, I don't need to  completely cover the canvas.
http://www.glorianathreads.com/Lorikeet.html

I've started working on the bricks in the border using two plies of the same Rosewood Dark Lorikeet.  As you can see, I'm filling each rectangle with satin stitches on the diagonal.  I will probably do all the dark brown bricks, then turn my attention to the blue cache pots on either side of the cat.  After that, it's back to the topiaries for poor me!

Tomorrow I'll change the header photo to show the latest progress on cat topiary garden but today you can compare the photo at the top of this Blog entry with the header to see how much (or little) I've accomplished since the last update.


Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
and at http://chstitchguides.blogspot.com

6 comments:

Rachel said...

It's making good progress, even if it seems slow - well done!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Thanks for the support, Rachel. It does seem to be moving faster now that I am jumping around and working on things other than just the background.

Wendy TC said...

I like your choice of color for the mortar...it's more like a mortar color than yellow. Did you change out the color of the cache pots? I know you were trying to decide. Hang in there!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I've been tinkering with the colors of the cache pots. I finally ended up with two shades of DMC cotton instead of the gorgeous Gloriana overdye I tried first. Despite its beauty, it wasn't right. Oh, well, we all get sidetracked by the pretty instead of the practical and those big pots need to be there but not stand out. Sigh. Ripping out is in my immediate future....

NCPat said...

Wow, you have gotten a lot done even if you don't think so....It is a large piece and we can see the progress. Nice choices!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Sure doesn't seem like much but you are right, I am definitely making progress.