Monday, December 5, 2011

Scarab Rings Under Glass

Scarab Rings Canvas by dede Odgen
Once the cat topiary garden was finished, it was time to turn my attention to the last Christmas present I need to stitch for the year--a dede Odgen canvas that depicts an Egyptian scarab ring from the top and side. The design measures 4.75 inches by 2.75 inches and is on 18 count navy NP canvas.  It is a very pretty thing and perfect for the granddaughter who loves Egyptian history.

Sudberry Jewelry Box
But I have a problem--this canvas is intended for a jewelry box lid.  Here's the box, a discontinued Sudberry design.  See the lid?  It is covered in heavy glass.  When I pried the backing off the underside of the lid, I discovered that there is very little clearance.  My usual tricks of beads and fancy stitches won't work here.  I have to have a very flat surface on top of my canvas so that I can insert it and a piece of gold tissue lame behind it.

I see a lot of tent stitches in my immediate future!

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
and at http://chstitchguides.blogspot.com

6 comments:

Liz said...

Can you leave off the glass? I have done that with many Sudberry Boxes. Without the glass, there is plenty of room.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Liz, the glass is fixed in place and can't be removed. So I am stuck with flat stitches.

Anonymous said...

Would any damange to the box be done if you were to break the glass out? I have several Sudberry boxes, but none have had glass, so not sure how it is secured. Bummer -- it will still be beautiful, just not the glam you were most likely intending.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I wouldn't dare break the glass. It is quite heavy and getting it all out evenly I think would be impossible.

NCPat said...

The canvas is gorgeous so are you planning some metallics so it will shine?

Wendy TC said...

I'm thinking the same thought as NCPat...metallics will be gorgeous even if you had lots of tent stitching and no beads! What a lucky granddaughter!