Monday, August 31, 2009

Try, Try Again



Over the weekend I decided that although I liked both my black tent stitches (Splendor silk) and my couched Silk N Colours (in Seafoam Green; you can see the skein above next to the canvas) held down by a strand of clear Accentuate, they didn't look good together. So I spent a lot of time deciding what stitch would look great with my black tent stitches. The above is what I came up with--just long stitches laid carefully to meet in the middle of large areas and to cover small areas. The overdyed colors of Seafoam Green look very much like the shading of the painted canvas so I am quite happy.

What do you think?

By the way, I did another round of May stitches on Glittering Kimono. I think I am half finished with one side of the jacket trim. One cuff is finished, too. So I have to rip out the mistake in the other cuff and finish it, then complete the first side of the jacket. After that I will have to work on the other side of the jacket edge and then tackle the top around the collar. I'm leaving the most complicated part to last you see. That'll give me lots of practice doing this stitch.

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

8 comments:

NCPat said...

Good choice! I did like the other stitch, but this does look much nicer! Sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!

NCPat said...

BTW, do click on the Modern Kachinas and check out the cowgirls on the same page! What a hoot!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Larri is having trouble posting comments on Blog, so she emailed me privately. I am quoting her here. Thanks, Larri!

"From what I can see when I enlarge both pics....today and yesterday, I like the new stitch much better. Clean, elegant and doesn't compete with the design.

Can't seem to be able to post to the blog, but then again I really didn't play around with it. You certainly can a transfer my comment if you'd like.

Regards, Larri"

Margaret said...

The new stitch is by far better. The old one would have been OK and lots of us would have settled for it, but now Fiji is above average.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Thanks, Pat, I hadn't noticed them this morning. It was BC (before coffee) when I posted the link, after all.

Very cute canvas. And it shows that wide hips in chaps are cute, not ugly!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Amen, Pat. Sometimes a girl's gotta rip out!

I'm glad I did now that the ripping and restitching is done. I've found that it never pays to ignore a problem. It will gnaw at you the whole time you stitch a piece until you deal with it, no matter how painful the dealing is.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I'm glad you like the new stitch as much as I do, Margaret. Settling for average isn't something I want to do with my NP. In my real life I can settle for things that maybe aren't first rate but in my stitching when I can control a lot of variables, I don't want to settle for second rate when I know I can do better.

marianne said...

I like it. I would not have thought of that multi blue/pale turquoise with black but I will now. It is good . Needless to say, that combo will appear on one of my designs in the near future.