Friday, October 16, 2009

Beaded Sleeves



The photo above shows what I ended up doing with my sleeve trim.  As you know, the beads that matched the background color exactly didn't look very good on the sleeves.  So I pulled out any blue beads and blue metallics I could find in my stash and played around with them.  Most of the metallics I put away immediately as they were not the right shade of blue.  I had several choices of blue in the beads, but blue-gray seed beads I had picked up from the local bead store (they are not labeled since the bead store sells unlabeled colors of beads in various sizes so I can't tell you the brand or exact size but they appear to be size 14/0) looked like they might work.

I also had a medium blue skein of Accentuate that looked ok with the background color, so I first tried laying long lines across the sleeves with this thread.  The Accentuate when laid on the canvas was too bight a blue, so back into the stash it went and I tried attaching a few of my seed beads with one ply of my background DMC cotton floss.  It was a perfect match!

Well, the blue colors are different but the grayish blue of the slightly iridescent beads looks very nice with the rest of the canvas.  I spent last night adding beads to the sleeves.  In the photo above the left sleeve is finished and the right sleeve around 2/3 done.  I'll finish this sleeve today and try to get more rows of the background done.  I need to hurry and get as much finished on this piece as possible as I have the Gay Ann Rogers counted thread piece instructions coming shortly.

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The beads are a wonderful addition. I would love a peek into your stash one day. It must be a terrific resource!
Nancy

NCPat said...

Perfect! I was hoping to see some beads as this makes it even more elegant! Nice choices!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Thanks. It looks nice in person.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I'd let you look at Stash, Pat, but it is a total mess. I know where most everything is but it isn't tidy the way I'd like. I just never seem to have the time to straighten it, though.