Sunday, October 25, 2009

Green Ribbons, Pink Ribbons



The Rabbit Geisha's green ribbons are finished and the pink ribbons are underway.  I ended up not padding any more of the green ribbons than what you saw in the photo day before yesterday as it seemed that highly padded ribbons only belong in front of the kimono when they have a lot to compete with for our attention.  The pink ribbons are not padded at all.

I also decided to do something a little different with the pink ribbons than with the green--I used only one pink overdyed thread instead of three different shades of green in three threads.

I happened to have a skein of Needle Necessities' overdyed cotton floss "Cotton Candy" #157 which has all three shades of rose pink that were painted on the canvas I am working.  I cut 18 inch lengths, removed four plies (this is a six ply thread), and knotted the end most similar in shade to my starting point on the canvas.  Then I stitched letting the color changes happen regardless of what was painted.  Every time I needed a new length of thread, I started with the "right" color, i.e., the color that was painted, but after that the colors fell as the thread was dyed.

I was much more careful to match the correct shade of green on the green ribbons but it is hard to copy what is painted when you are using long stitches.  Tent stitches allow you to match the paint almost exactly but long stitches don't.

This doesn't really matter, though.  If you look at the photo above and compare it to the original unpainted canvas, it is hard to tell that I didn't match the original exactly.

I have a nice little cache of NN threads but if you don't, you can substitute ThreadworX overdyed floss for this discontinued thread. Needle in a Haystack has reference photos of all the NN overdyed floss colors here.
http://www.needlestack.com/WebStore/Thread/NN_Floss.html

You can see that ThreadworX's "Sweet Innocence" #1099 is a very close match by looking at the photos Needle in a Haystack has posted here.
http://www.needlestack.com/WebStore/Thread/TW_Floss.html

I have to stitch the gold edging of one last pink ribbon area before I can stitch the ribbon itself.  After that, I will finish the navy tassels and finally get to the part I've been looking forward to since I started this design--the feathery fan the Rabbit Geisha carries.

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

4 comments:

Nannette said...

It is absolutely beautiful! I am a real Brenda Stofft fan, and now I really want this canvas. I can't wait to see what you are going to do with the fan, but I'm sure it will be amazing. Thank you for sharing this journey with us.
Nannette

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Thank you, Nannette. If is a lovely canvas. Did you know there is a companion piece, a Cat in a Kimono? It is more elaborate than my Geisha Rabbit. Check out what Jane W. is doing with her cat at her blog.

http://janew1102.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Copy/paste this link, then look for Cat in a Kimono in the categories on the right side. Click on that and all Jane's photos will appear for you to admire.

Mom55 said...

Goodness, you are such a great source, enjoy your links and posts so much! I love the canvas of the day and really enjoy this Brenda Stoffit that you are working on. I did a little research and found her "Catula" from the trunk show at Needle Nook of La Jolla. I am really looking forward to starting it.. it is perfect for the owner of 2 black and white cats!
Thanks for all the inspiration. Liz

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I am happy to have introduced you to Brenda Stofft, Liz. She does lovely work and if you are a cat lover, she's got just the best designs!

Have fun with your canvas.