Saturday, October 24, 2009

Missed You Yesterday


Yesterday I didn't have time to post the message I had planned. Some days are like that. But you didn't miss much. I had just intended to mention that I've run out of the #12 braid (Kreinik's gold 002) I was using to tent stitch the gold edge on the pink ribbon that the Rabbit Geisha wears.  I can't buy anything except #16 braid locally so I rummaged in my stash and found a nice full spool of #4 braid in the same color.  I will triple the amount and have the same thickness for my tent stitches.



However, I have discovered this isn't as straightforward as you would think.  When I tripled the #4 braid in my needle, the three strands twisted and knotted themselves and the tent stitch looked messy.  So I am stitching with a single strand of #4 braid and stitching three tent stitches per hole.  It takes a while and is annoying but it works and saves me from having to put this piece aside until I can obtain more #12 braid.  After all, I am rushing to get this done ASAP so that I can start on the project I plan to stitch for my mother for Christmas.

By the way, the photos are scenes from Chilly Hollow this week.  We had lovely weather all week (although today is blustery and raining like March weather) and I took some photos of the leaf color facing the Blue Ridge Mountains and of the two yearlings that are eating grass right outside the front door.

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

6 comments:

Front Range Stitcher said...

Fall is definitely beautiful there is Chilly Hollow, and the "deerlings" are precious. Yes, I know they love feasting on roses and other such treasures, but they are still welcome to browse. Thanks for sharing this lovely scenery, I especially enjoyed gathering bittersweet when we lived in Maryland. Hope your stitching goes well today.

ChitownStitcher said...

I missed you too Jane. I was ready to call the needlepoint police and have them check your house to make sure you were okay. The pictures you posted are beautiful. I cannot imagine living in an area like that. I envy you. My wild life consists of squirrels, toads and daddy long legs.

NCPat said...

I hate it for you! I could have mailed that from my stash--one I did have!! The pictures are lovely....every one is in the Blue Ridge mountains enjoying the color! It should be gorgeous there Sunday as it was lovely here on Saturday!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Pat, between our stashes we could open a store! LOL

Our weather Saturday was crappy--very windy and rainy, just like blustery March weather. Hopefully today will be a little sunnier as there is firewood to split and stack for winter. The heavy rains brought down lots of leaves so I am not sure we will enjoy much of peak color. Unless you want to come look at the leaves on my driveway or the tops of the acorns the deer have left on it!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Nancy, we have toads and daddy longlegs and squirrels, too. It's just there are foxes, rabbits, weasels, snakes, raccoons, groundhogs, birds of all sorts, and occasionally a bear or wild cat. We have salamanders and turtles and butterflies and moths as well. So far it is a healthy ecosystem but we have the advantage of large blocks of woods around us that are uncut so that there are probably 200 acres or perhaps more of forest for the critters to live in.

It's a beautiful place but we have very few services and when the power or phone goes out, we are the last to get a repair. Plus it is 100 miles a week to go downtown to buy the newspaper, pick up milk at the grocery store or hit the drugstore.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Madonna, there used to be bittersweet over the ridge from us on Mr. Dickey's land. I'll have to pick some the next time I am over that way.

I don't like the deer close to the house as they carry ticks which have Lyme Disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. The dogs have had both and I had the typical bullseye spot from a tick bite last year but tested negative for both then. They are fun to see but really are a nuisance, especially as they also draw poachers towards our house and I have no confidence those guys know a thing about gun safety.