Thursday, December 24, 2009

Choosing a Border Part Two



I'm still dithering over a border for O'jishi.  I like the faux bamboo border but it isn't an overwhelming favorite for me or for Blog readers (see yesterday's comments) so I'm still testing ideas.  Above you see yesterday's which uses a variation of Staggered Diagonal Slanted Stitch (from page 21 of A Background Stitch Reference Book from the Golden Gate Canvas Workers Chapter of ANG).  This stitch is just three slanted long stitches over 5 threads.  The first set nestles against the background, then the second set drops down a thread.  Alternate the sets of three stitches (up and down) along the border, then fill in the empty area with tent stitches.  I thought I'd use four plies of my tan Mandarin floss from the background for the staggered slanted diagonals, then fill in the groups of tent stitches with the darker brown from the background, alternating with the milk chocolate/silver Kreinik metallic and some of the medium coral color.  I'll do a bit more today and we'll see what it looks like.

I'm afraid this isn't a home run either but we'll see.  I may have another idea today while shoveling snow or recovering from shoveling snow by browsing my stitch dictionaries....

By the way, thanks for all the input yesterday.  It helped clarify my ideas about the problems with the faux bamboo border and that I do need a touch of coral in the border.

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

7 comments:

CraftyGryphon said...

Maybe something like the Staggered Diagonal Slanted in the darker of the two background colors?

Anonymous said...

Wishing you a happy holiday season, Jane. Your blog has given me much pleasure and many ideas this year. Thank you.
Nancy

MeganH said...

I wanted to say that I'd never seen the type of embroidery you do - picking your own stitches to do on a painted canvas (as opposed to just tent or x-stitch). It's been such an education for me.
I think O'jishi is such an excellent example. Those very simple long line stitches you use look absolutely excellent - you've made a stunning piece.
(And I like that slanted stitch)

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Jane! Thank you for giving us a wonderful stitchy year.
Pamela - Tucson

Odette said...

on the cover of Needlepointers September 2008 the design has a border and I think something along those lines may be nice as you can then repeat the colours already used.

Anonymous said...

As I look at your postings about a border, I find myself thinking that it may not be the stitch as much as color mixing. I'm wondering about pulling out one of the other two colors, either the black or the red, and adding a touch of it to either the lighter or darker beige. (I apologize for my lack of specifics, as I'm just getting back into threads after 15 years, and don't know much beyond wool.)
I've learned so much from your blog, and I appreciate your posting even on Christmas! May it be a serene one for you.

Odette said...

Stitchlady's blog has just finished double up and in the piece is a very interesting border - about fourth band in from the edge. I have no idea what it is called. Maybe worth looking at?!
Boy all these ideas are flying at you like arrows!!