Sunday, December 13, 2009

One Eyed Jack



I ran out of time yesterday before getting a photo of my progress on my Noh mask up on Blog, so here is all my progress.



Lots has been done.  I've completed the old gold coin stitches across his forehead around the center where the larger circle stitches are.  These also cover the crescent-shaped painted areas to the side of his eyes but they aren't shown in full in this first photo.



I've also done horizontal straight stitches (2 plies of my Lacquered Gold Gloriana silk, remember?) across the bridge of his nose and in the areas to the left and right side of his eyes.  I've started doing straight stitches in the nostril area, but only the right side is done.



I've also started on his eyes, covering them (same number of plies but in the various thread colors I've used before) in stem stitch, working from the outside edge in.  Where the stem stitch doesn't cover well, I've inserted split stitches to cover.

I need to stitch the other eye and the other nostril.  After that, I need to think about this for a bit.  I am starting to think that I need to pull out the jaw stitches I've done and use my Lacquered Gold Gloriana silk there, too.  Look at the first photo.  Do you think the jaw needs to be mostly gold, too?  If I don't do this, will the jaw look like a separate thing and not part of the mask?

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

4 comments:

biddie1031 said...

Hi Jane, This mask is fascinatingly ominous! It's fun to see him grow more menacing day by day!!

Regarding the jaw - as it is presently, I think it is out of sync with the rest UNLESS you are going to work in the same color on the forehead where you have the old gold coin stitches. Could it help to do some light stitches in the Gloriana over the orangey jaw area?
I am NOT a color expert or even have a good eye for putting together color schemes but the jaw has been bothering me. Also - the photos you've posted of that area haven't showed the entire space, so it makes it harder for me to see how the whole will turn out.
Thanks for letting me put in my 2 cents! And, thanks for this blog where I learn so much about stitching and enjoy fun links.
Cheers!
Meg

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Meg, thanks for your input. I'm not a color person either but the jaw looks too different from the rest of the design to me. I am going to pull out the original stitches today and see how a jaw done with the old gold coin stitch looks versus one with the stitch I choose already. I think the original stitch works in this space better but I may need to switch to a very small balloon stitch or something that size that is rounded since all the rest of his face uses round stitches.

I am sorry this piece is too large for an entire scan but I may take it off the stretcher bars and take a scan or do a photo of this tomorrow.

Thank you for the nice compliment, by the way. I appreciate it.

Margaret said...

I think it is all gold. A mask of beaten gold.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I think you are right, Margaret. I'll see what you think with my samples tomorrow.