Thursday, February 18, 2010

Stars: This End Up (with Loose Ends)


Last night I stitched the last two corners on the bottom of the canvas.  They went a lot faster than the first two!  Once you understand an area, the stitching always goes better, doesn't it?

I did turn my canvas upside down to work the two bottom corners, which promoted me to mark the "top" of the canvas with an arrow so I'd always know which side should face up.  I noticed when stitching the corners that I needed to know the Top from the Bottom since I turned the canvas to reach the corners better and had to make sure the little Smyrnas that go in the corners were all oriented the same way, whether I was working them upside down or right side up.   In geometric designs like this, I always mark the top so I know without hunting which End is Up.

The quilt blocks are arranged in four rows with three stars in each row, and later on I'll be able to see easily which is the top row, but for right now I want to easily know which end is the top end.

You'll see a lot of loose threads on the canvas.  I am doing some test stitching.  Look at the two little blocks that separate the black sashing lines.  On the right is my original sashing block and on the left I have removed the original stitching and replaced it with another version.  The right side is too heavy and the left side too light.  I'm going to have to look at my threads and pick the right color values and weights to make the little sashing blocks look their best. That's my task for today.  Once I choose what I like best, I'll work all six of the little blocks the same way.  I know I said I was going to work from the top down on this design, but it seems to make sense to get these elements in now.

Note in the top border that I have little sashing blocks drawn in with an X in them.  There really aren't sashing blocks in the border. I failed to understand the instructions and drew them there, then marked them so I would remember that there aren't blocks actually there.  I have a lot of trouble with diagrams and am always making (and correcting) mistakes.  But that is part of doing counted work for me.

Why do I do counted work when I'm so bad at it?  Because I want to improve my stitching.  You never get any better at something unless you practice and I enjoy learning new techniques.  A great example of what I'm learning can be found in the hints from Blog readers on starting/ending threads in yesterday's Comments.  You should go back to the previous Blog entry and click on Comments (at the very bottom of the article next to the date in pink) and read them.  I got a great private email with more tips also.  I'll quote that to you in another blog entry if the author gives me permission.

In the photo and in real life the sashing blocks have holes where you can see the canvas.  I think I'm going to rip these out and replace them with sashing that uses four plies of my black Soie de Crystale silk instead of the three I used.  Tony says to use four plies but I didn't listen. Sorry, Headmaster!

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

11 comments:

NCPat said...

Progress is progress....Don't be so hard on yourself! We all rip out on all sorts of stitching! LOL

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

So true, Pat. I hope that the amount of frogging (rip it, rip it, get it?) decreases as I do more on this piece.

NCPat said...

I am sure it will!

Monica said...

Looking good - i understand the canvas peeking thru - i am one of those girls who likes it covered where it is suppossed to be covered. BTW, i did read the start and stop thread problems and i did not notice anyone mention the "loop". in all the situations where you are working with an even number of threads (you need 2 or 4 or 6 in an area) take half the number of threads, fold over and stick all ends thru the needle. come up at first sticth then go back thru and on the back, pull the needle with the threads thru the "loop" created by the foldover of the threads and pull taut. voila - no tails, and i have no problem with "bumps" - i won't do it with a huge number of threads and make it too fat. it is so clean and neat on the back and no loose threads get in my way while i am stitching other areas. of course, odd number threads won't work as they are not "doubled" when you fold the thread over. so probably an away knot is best for them but at least this could work for a lot of the threads. i am sure you knew this method as you are so proficient and thank you for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

I look forward to your blog every morning and appreciate the wealth of information you share with us. However, I am disappoined that the time of posting no longer appears for each blog in the Other Needlepoint Blogs. I do so enjoy keeping up with what is going on, proceeding immediately to the new postings, but do not have time to open each in turn to see if there is anything new.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Anon, I thought the date was just clutter but if you like it, then I will add it back in.

Poof! Ok, it's back. Enjoy!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Monica, thanks for reminding me of the loop starts. I have used this occasionally on this piece but you are right, it works really well. I should use it more!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for reinstating the time of postings. I really appreciate your prompt action!

michele said...

You are encouraging me to continue my stars- I have five blocks to go and just got busy with life. I am very impressed that you did not go with the colorways and picked your own- very difficult figuring out how they will work out.
Michele
Gone Stitching

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I am glad to restore features folks use. I just got lucky and saw your message quickly. I only have computer access in the mornings and a few minutes before supper so I am glad the timing was right.

I think Blog is cluttered and I'm always trying to descibe how to make it easier to read. Anyone with ideas, please let me know!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Michele, I am glad you are working on your Stars again. It's a pretty big project with a lot of complex bits. Any chance you'll share a photo of your progress with us? if so email me at chilly hollow athot maildot com and I'll post it.

Going another route is always my way and probably explains why I have such trouble with charted pieces. I don't mind not knowing how it will turn out, however. A journey with the incredible Tony Minieri is enough for me.