Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Woodlawn 2010 People's Choice Award?

I got an email last night from Amanda who was told at the Woodlawn exhibit that Catherine Jordan's little tree set has won the People's Choice Award.  I am not sure the docent who told Amanda this is right--surely the People's Choice voting has not closed so soon?--but I am sure Catherine Jordan's work is fabulous!  Here is the set in question.  There are more photos of these pieces from other angles in the photo set.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/preservationnation/4417592876/in/set-72157623455198693/

Here is Catherine's website.  Many of the designs shown there have won at Woodlawn in the past.
http://www.catherinesdesigns.net/index.htm

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

8 comments:

Jean said...

Jane, I think your right the People's Choice award is not given out till the end. I always go at the same time every year, the last weekend; an we also get a paper to vote who we would like to get the award and if you have any comments or questions.

But I do remember Catherine Jordan's work its stunning!
Jean

Anonymous said...

Jane, I went to Woodlawn this past Monday and was not given a voting slip, since voting was closed. The Catherine Jordan set of miniatures won the People's Choice award.

Carol Toll

Sara Leigh said...

They did announce the People's Choice award this week. I was there yesterday (Tuesday), and it was awarded, but I believe it went to her lovely patchwork box in the center of the front case. I may be wrong, but that was my understanding.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I suppose it is nice to have the award done before the show ends so folks can actually see the winner, instead of learning about it later (or not) and just remembering the piece. Still, it means that only the folks who were at the show the first weeks of the show get to vote. Not my idea of a good plan. Now, online voting from the photo album....

No, that wouldn't work either. Many pieces don't show up well in photos.

Thanks for the update, Sara Leigh!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Thanks, Jean. It is clear that no matter which of her pieces won the People's Choice award, that Catherine Jordan took the ribbon home.

Jean said...

Wow, I guess this another change. I might ask (or get someone to ask for me) I know I'm not completely loosing my mind, but I just might be-but I have been going to the Woodlawn show since it started. her work is always in the case in the room you enter, so I will be sure to check it out.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Jean, it's very likely the docent who told you the winner just mixed up the pieces. Don't worry, I am sure you reported faithfully what you were told!

Sara Leigh said...

I was wrong! (I know, hard to believe.) The People's Choice award was given to the miniatures. I misread it, and the positioning of the ribbon with respect to the cases was also misleading. I was just there this afternoon at closing time and double-checked. My excuse is that I'm old, and my vision isn't what it used to be. Hahahahaha.