Saturday, June 5, 2010

Stars: Stitching Eva Marie Saint


After stitching my brains out on the little Melissa Shirley mermaid and also finishing two purses this week, I'm not ready to work on assembling the little Nordic snowman into a Christmas stocking, so it's back to Stars for the New Millennium for me.  I've started the second block in row two, which is called Eva Marie Saint.

There are nine steps in this block.  As in all of the blocks so far, each section repeats either four or eight times, which means I finally master a section after the second or third try.  This can get tedious but fortunately most of the sections are small.

In the photo above I've done steps one and two, which are Burden stitches on the horizontal in an upright cross shape and then Burden stitches on the diagonal.  The same threads are used and in the same pattern of couching but the side "petals" look darker because they are on the diagonal. Interesting effect!   I didn't expect this to happen.


In this photo I've started step three, which is adding chevrons around the center.  There will be three more chevrons, which took more time than I expected for something that looks simple in the diagram.  I am not wildly experienced in working from charts, though, so perhaps I don't recognize what is going to be hard and what isn't yet.

As always, my colors are violet (A), black (B), terracotta (C) and metallic copper (D).

If you'd like to see other Stars projects underway, Sara Leigh has posted progress photos from her stitching group of the various colorways they've chosen.  I love seeing the various colors folks have chosen.  Each one is different and beautiful!
http://remedialstitcher.blogspot.com/2010/05/sunday-was-stars-day.html

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

2 comments:

NCPat said...

Very nice! You are doing great and each one gets better!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Thanks. This is a pretty quilt block. I'm amazed at how each one is so different. And there are a dozen of them!