Monday, April 23, 2012

Where to Get Floor Frames for Evertites?

Yesterday KL posted a comment on an older article here at Blog, one where I reviewed Evertite stretcher bars. Here's the link to the review.
http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com/2009/11/evertites-review.html

The comment read in full, "Where to buy a floor frame to hold the Evertite while stitching?"  It's an ambiguous question.  Is KL asking me what shops sell floor frames?  Or is KL asking what floor frames are likely to be able to hold the heavier-than-usual Evertites?

Let's look at the second question first.  Evertites are heavier and thicker than the stretcher bars we normally see used with needlepoint canvas.  This video from Needlepoint Now magazine shows stretcher bars being assembled and a canvas attached to them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipGkBY_7cO0

Compare that video to this photographic essay on putting linen on Evertites and you can see that the Evertites are probably a third thicker.  They are at least twice as heavy, perhaps more.  I haven't weighed a set of comparable sizes but trust me, there is a big difference!
http://www.needlenthread.com/2008/07/evertite-stretcher-bar-frames-for.html

This means you need a floor frame that has a very stable base and that also has an adjustable clamp to grab any size stretcher bars, from the very skinny ones to Evertites.  I use the K's metal floor stand which has a clamp that works very well with Evertites.  But look at the base.  It is a metal plate.  I usually stitch with that plate under my chair leg for stability but what if you like to have your floor stand right in front of you instead of to the side?  K's has now created a wooden base that works with their metal stand to provide more stability and to accommodate those who just don't like the Big Foot metal plate type of stand.  K's also has a very stable wooden frames called the Ultimate Stitching Station and the Basic Stitching Station.  I've heard that you can get accessories called Universal Clamps that adjust to any size or type of frame and even will hold Q Snaps.  I have no personal experience with this type of frame, though.  You can see the K's metal stand with the Big Foot metal plate base, the new wooden frame base for the metal stand and the all wooden Ultimate Stitching Station at Stitcher's Paradise, which is a good place to buy floor frames.
http://www.stitchers-paradise.com/Stands/KsCreations.html

Stitcher's Paradise also has photographs of the Lowery floor stand on their site.  It is quite similar to the K's metal stand but the metal plate is larger and the clamp is slightly different.  Friends with Lowery floor stands rave about them, although I have not used this frame.  I'd appreciate anyone with Lowery/Evertites experience to let us know how well they work together in the comments.
http://www.stitchers-paradise.com/Stands/Lowery.html

It looks like the System Four (which is perfect for sitting in front of the stitcher's chair) has a very stable base.  I have not used this frame although I have friends who have it and love it.  The photographs on the Threadneedle Street website (this is a good place to buy floor frames, by the way) show the clamp holding Evertites, so it looks like the System Four will work.  I'd appreciate anyone with System Four/Evertites experience to let us know how well they work together in the comments.
http://www.threadneedlestreet.com/accessories.htm

Mary Corbet has done a review of the System Four which has lots of photographs of this stand in action.  Be sure you read all the comments at the bottom of the article if you are interested in getting a System Four.  Mary says she uses Evertites with her System Four all the time but you do need the "frame clamp" accessory.  Mary does embroidery, not much needlepoint, so she probably has a variety of heads to accommodate hoops and other non-stretcher bars.
http://www.needlenthread.com/2008/01/needlework-system-4-floor-stand-review.html

You might also be interested in hearing from a very happy customer of the System Four. I've posted the most about the System Fours, but I have to say I wouldn't trade my K's metal stand for any other.  It suits me best.
http://dianestakingtimeouttoneedlepoint.blogspot.com/2012/04/system-4-needlepoint-stand.html

KL, I hope all this answers your questions.  Please note that there are many frames I haven't mentioned that will work, but since a lot of them are not made by U.S. companies, I confined my comments to floor frames that are easily available to American needlepointers.

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
and at http://chstitchguides.blogspot.com

14 comments:

Anne Bloom said...

I have a System 4 and love it. I have the travel stand, which disassembles and telescopes really easily for travel, or just moving around to stitch in different places. I use mostly Evertite frames and there is no problem with them at all!! System 4 is also wonderful because there are several different attachments for different purposes such as scroll bars, belt scroll bars, attachments that allow you to make the clamp closer, etc. I have had this stand for several years, it is sturdy, flexible in nature, convenient, and I understand that the company gives wonderful service. I do not have personal experience with that because I have not needed it. I bought my stand from The Needle Bug. System 4 also has table stands and other models.

NCPat said...

Jane, I use the K's metal stand....and to keep mine stable, I have a hand weight that I can add pounds to, and I have it wrapped around the bottom. LOL

Diane Gasior said...

Jane, I do love my System 4 floor stand. I also have a table top stand as well. I think my favorite part is the swivel. It just makes stitching so enjoyable. Being able to swivel your stretcher bars over to weave threads makes stitching so much easier.
Diane

MeganH said...

A subject close to my heart, since I'm tentatively looking into investing in a floor stand.
BUT I definitely want one that swings to the side. That's the only way it'll work in my 'embroidery corner' where I sit at one end of my couch.
Can you help me with what to look for? I notice the KCreation stand says "360 degree swing". Is this the significant phrase? Do other stands swing to the side as an option or do you need to look for specific stands? I've never seen a floor stand (and can't get to an embroidery shop to see one) so I don't really understand in what ways they swing. I'm also left handed, which I don't know if it complicates the issue or not.
The KCreations stand looks good, but I nearly fainted at the price. I do know that one will cost heaps, but I'll need a magnifier (for needlepainting) and a new daylight lamp as the most basic accessories, so costs are going to add up!
I've dribbled over the System 4. The thing I like the most about that is the "jaw clamps" that ensure that the embroidery frame really, really won't move. Well, I *think* that's a really good point, not knowing the ins and outs of the things.
I'm an Evertite girl, btw, with my Elizabethan and needlepainting (inc goldwork and stumpwork). I adore them :-) I think it's great that you've raised the issue that they are thicker than the normal frame, and so will need a floor stand that will handle them. Yet another thing to take into consideration!

Anonymous said...

I have both the Lowery and System 4 stands and have used Evertites with both with no problems. Th Sys 4 is a little better if you are using larger bars but I have both the corner clamp and side clamp for the Lowery and use it with 12" or less stretcher bars. The Lowery fits better with my stitching chair than the Sys 4

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

eRose, the "360 degree swing" that the K's stand mentions is all about the rotation of the clamp that grabs your stretcher bars. You can release the clamp and the grabber will rotate all the way around so that you can easily flip to the back of your piece to start/end threads, then flip to the front again. I don't think this is what you mean by "swings to the side."

Here's a photo of the K's metal floor stand. Copy/paste this to a new browser window.
http://www.stitchers-paradise.com/Stands/images/KCR/KCR-SS.jpg

ll the metal stands have a release that allows the grabber to clamp/release the stretcher bars. All the metal stands also have a release that allows the bar the clamp/release is on to rotate 360 degrees so you can flip to the back of the stretcher bars. NONE of them allow the long bar to swing away from the stitcher. You have to push the base away from you with your foot to move the entire stand away from the chair or couch to get up or whatever.

It doesn't matter if you are left handed or not, these metal stands can be put on your left or right or in front of you, whichever works with your seated position.

This is a photo of the System Four. As you can see, it is a very simple system (the one on the floor is it folded up) but it won't move away from you unless you push the base away with your foot.
http://www.stitchers-paradise.com/Stands/images/NS4/NS4-S4001.jpg

Here's the Lowrey all tricked out with attachments. See the handle on the upright base? That might allow the horizontal arm to be unlocked to push it away from you but I don't own a Lowrey so I am not sure.
http://www.stitchers-paradise.com/Stands/images/LOW/LOW-FLS.jpg

MeganH said...

Aha! Well, that's another feature I'll need! I can hardly sink gold threads without proper access to the back. Thankyou so much for explaining, and the links :-)

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

eRose, these things cost too much (around $300 plus whatever accessories you buy) to not know as much as possible about them ahead of time. And yes, you will want to be able to easily flip to the back of your canvas with the turn of a lever or knob. It's hard when you have to mail order without being able to test drive one of these things, though.

MeganH said...

Jane, thanks SO much for the comment on my blog. My reply is
"Hi Jane!
Thankyou so much for the information on frames. Who would have thought a horizontally swinging arm would be so difficult? I might have to have one custom made, drat it!"

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

eRose, my friend with the Stitchmate bought one eons ago for her sister. She might be able to talk her sister into selling it to you, but there's a catch--if she's willing to sell, the block on top of the hinge where the horizontal arm swings is the original style, not the improved one. So it won't swing as well as the current models. You would have to try to get one of the new ones from the Cozy Cottage folks. His daughter is handling current orders but not making parts so maybe you could and maybe you couldn't. Oh, well, the perfect item is always illusive. Let me know if you want me to ask my friend to ask her sister.... I'm chillyhollow at hotmail dotcom, by the way.

MeganH said...

Well, just having recieved my pension, and found I haven't enough $ to pay my utility bills this fortnight (!), I won't be buying a frame in the immediate future, that's for sure. *sulk*
It is incredibly kind of you to make that query for me :-)
I think I'll investigate swinging stands further, and go the custom made option if I need to. If I'm going to invest the money, I want to get a good stand, not a compromise. :-)
Your information that horizontally swinging stands are so unusual has been extremely useful. Now I *know* that they aren't at all standard, I know what to look for, and what to ask.
Thankyou.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I am happy to help out, eRose. At least you know where the Stitchmate photos are so you can share them with those who make stands to help explain what you need and see if they can make something similar.

Good luck! And with the utility bills, too!

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know of a seat frame that would hold the Evertite stretcher bars?

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

By seat frame do you mean the lap frames or the ones you sit on? My K's metal stand holds Evertites very well so I assume that other K's frames will as well but you'd probably better ask the company to make sure. Here are the lap frames.
http://www.kscreations.com/lapframes.htm

Here is the metal floor frame I own. Note the clamps which are fairly similar to the Petite Clamp.
http://www.kscreations.com/floor_metal.htm

But don't take my word for it. Talk to K's Creations or ask your local shop to research this for you.