Friday, October 24, 2008

Laura Perin Is The Border Queen

I read Laura Perin's blog religiously. She is a counted thread designer of both realistic and geometric pieces and there aren't many charted designers active today. So I like to keep an eye on what she's up to.
Right now she's talking borders. What you see above is the border she created to mimic an expensive triple matted framing job for her version of the Gay Ann Rogers' "Mystery in a Corner" design. It is what I call a KNOCK-OUT idea.

It's not the only one she's had, either. Head over to Laura's blog and back up until you find the 10/6/08 posting about her Halloween House, then start reading forward to discover several cheap and easy ways to put fake mats and lovely borders around your pieces. You may never pay Big Bucks to a frame shop again.


Laura's website lives here.

Gay Ann Rogers just has finished her annual e-Merchandise week but in about three weeks you ought to be able to see various stitched Mysteries in a Corner on her website again. But nobody has a mat as beautiful as the one Laura stitched!


Jane/Chilly Hollow
Main blog at http://blog.360.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

2 comments:

Laura said...

Thank you, Jane, for all your kind words. I held my breath after posting my finshed Mystery border, wondering what stitchers would think... and I'm SOOO pleased that the response has been positive. And as you point out, I was sharing these things as examples of creative ways to finish projects. Stay tuned...more to follow!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I love your border around MIAC. It's very creative, as are all your mat/border/framing ideas. You are quite inspirational! I personally told Gay Ann Rogers to go look at your innovative framing and she was, well, I think the technical terms include "amazed" and "intrigued."

You did great! Thanks for sharing all your ideas. They really are helpful~
Jane/CH