Sunday, April 11, 2010

Clark Gable Finished


I finished the second full quilt block yesterday.  Isn't Clark handsome?  The charcoal to black shading in the kite-shaped areas bothers me a bit and I'm still considering adding either black or copper beads to the square, but Pat's idea of waiting until Vivian Leigh is stitched and the whole row done to decide whether to add beads and what color is a very good one.

I also finished the sashing borders around the first two blocks.  My plan is to stitch the sashing margins around each as the block is done so that I am not resting my hand or arm on finished stitching as I work.  I also plan to work the outside borders later for the same reason.

The photo above is upside down.   Stars can be hung with the first row on top or bottom, as one chooses. You could even hang it with the right or left side as the top but I suspect most of us will choose to hang it vertically.  When Stars is framed, I plan to have it done so that either end could be hung as the top so I can change the view occasionally.

Now I am going to switch to my painted canvas project.

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

4 comments:

NCPat said...

Very nice! I like this one too! I also like the idea for hanging it either way--very clever of you!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I'm not clever--I'm changable!

LOL

Sara Leigh said...

When I first saw Stars, it was at Woodlawn last year. The stitcher chose to frame it horizontally (or at least that's the way the show had it hanging), and I can't remember which side was on top. It looked fine that way too; but then again, I didn't know the conceptual aspect of the piece, which doesn't play out as well when displayed horizontally.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

True. I think a rectangle piece that isn't a landscape should always hang vertically but then that's my prejudice. Stars will look great however we display it.

It would make a dynamite pillow but I want mine framed.