Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Your Canvas Is In the Mail


What with pet guardian angels arriving from the other folks stitching them for the ANG Auction, Judie's surprise little hospitality stocking she sent me, and the canvas you see on the left arriving in my mailbox, well, it is pretty exciting to see the mail lady pull up the driveway in Chilly Hollow!

This is an Amanda Lawford design, the new Nutcracker Santa for 2009 which arrived about two weeks ago. Each year Amanda comes up with a new Santa theme for that year. There are a lot of them, one for every taste, on her website. Just click on the link below and browse.
http://www.amandalawford.com/products/santas1.html

They come in several heights (30", 15" and 9" tall). My Nutcracker Santa is the 15 inch one and is on 18 count canvas. He is really lovely! Here's another photo from the Needle Works blog. (If you get the annoying authentication window, just click Cancel to make it go away.)
http://theneedleworks.typepad.com/the_needle_works/2009/01/cant-sleep-1.html

I saw one of the larger sizes stitched at the ANG Seminar Exhibit in Baltimore in 2007. It won a ribbon, too! They work up beautifully, as you will see if you look about halfway down the page for Nancy Demko's Maroon Santa with Deer.
http://www.needlepoint.org/WhatIs/2007/index.php

I'd never seen an unpainted Amanda Lawford canvas in person before. I can report these are beautifully stitch painted in beautiful colors. If you have the time to tackle a large Christmas project, there just might be a Santa for you in her line.

If you don't, I'm happy to report that her son Derek is starting his own line of small, simple and affordable canvases. I got his e-newsletter with photos of his first designs and if you email me at chilly hollowat hot maildotcom I will forward it on to you to see.

By the way, I weighed down the canvas with a heavy coaster to take the photo but didn't cut that out of the picture so that you could see the canvas number and Amanda's lovely stylized signature. The coaster is what you see on the bottom. Sorry!

Jane/Chilly Hollow
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

4 comments:

Maelyse said...

Oh, I'm so jealous of your Amanda Lawford Santa! He is on my wish list! I have to work my way through some stash first, though...

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I can see why, Maelyse. He is beautifully painted. I especially loved the little Clara playing with her nutcracker and the Mouse King in his royal robe perched on Santa's shoulder!

MNStitcher said...

have this Amanda Lawford canvas on my wishlist, but was wondering with the 15 in size would you be stuck doing all basketweave on everything other than the main santa because of the detail. So since you have one in hands to look at is that the case....what do you see? Pondering which size I 'need' to get. I want the 15 inch, but I don't want to basketweave everything other than the main santa.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

MN, I'm going to have to think about your question. I'll post about this separately, perhaps tomorrow morning, once I've thought about it, ok?