Friday, July 10, 2009

Even More Pet Guardian Angels Arrive


I have three new pet guardian angels lurking in my house. The first one is not finished yet but because my scanner does a better job with unfinished pieces and I wanted you to see the dog's wonderful face, I am posting a photo of the ornament before it's made up. Nancy stitched it one-handed in honor of her Schnauzer Cookie. I am amazed that she did this with only one hand (she hurt her other) and that the face is so real! Nancy tells me she used a special thread for the fur called 100% Suri Alpaca Thread and it comes from Salt River Mills. It is distributed by The First and Last Stitch in St. Louis. She says it is for 13-18 count canvas which meant she could handle one strand one-handed and do long and short stitch on Cookie's face and paw with three shades of charcoal gray.
http://www.saltrivermills.com/Needlepoint_-_Yarn.html

http://www.firstandlast.com/






The second two angels just arrived from South Africa today. Odette stitched them and added all sorts of special touches, like crystal butterflies, a delicate beak, beaded halos, lovely green wings, a perfect little rabbit face, etc. I wish you could see them in person. My scanner does a decent job but you have to see Odette's stitching in person to appreciate it.



Aren't they amazing? I am constantly blown away by the artistry of all the stitchers who contributed to this project.

Tomorrow I will start assembling Nancy's angel for her. With only one hand, she just can't do this. Hopefully I'll do OK with two hands! Cookie the Tudor Dog deserves my very best finishing.

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

5 comments:

ChitownStitcher said...

Just to clarify, I only did the head and background of the schnauzer ornament one handed. Everything else had been finished before I managed to hurt myself. I want to thank Jane so much for being willing to assemble my Angel into an ornament for me and for all of the time and effort she put into this wonderful project for the ANG auction. I can't wait to see all of the beautiful ornaments at the seminar in Milwaukee.

Nancy
Incoming Auction Chairperson

NCPat said...

These are just wonderful! Nice work to all the ladies....great to see such wonderful diversity from everyone! If you get stuck with the finishing......holler!! And, stay away from the glue with your hair!!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Jane grins, then pulls her long hair into a pony tail away from the glue.

Odette said...

Pat the underskirt of the parakeet is the wool and silk thread that was sent to me. I really enjoyed doing. I learnt new things. What's next Jane?
Odette

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Odette, I don't even want to THINK about next year's ANG Auction, much less organize a project for it!