Friday, January 22, 2010

Franklin Speaks, We Should Listen



This morning as I read new blog entries I came across this hilarious posting from the knit designer, artist, and writer Franklin Habit.  Someone gave Franklin a collection of old stitching magazines for Christmas and he's been exploring them.
http://the-panopticon.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-to-propagate-stereotype-1968.html

Once I quit laughing, I started to wonder what we needlepointers, designers and shop owners are doing to perpetuate the myth of needlepoint as a stuffy and boring craft?  Instead of the vibrant participatory art it can be, I mean?

Food for thought....

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

6 comments:

Front Range Stitcher said...

I enjoyed reading the readers' comments too (particularly in the Toy Mice entry). I had no idea knitters were such an undaunted lot! LOL Thanks Jane!

NCPat said...

Franklin is hysterical! I hope by the blogging we are providing people with the photos and commentaries that what we do is vibrant, art,enjoyable and yes, sometimes, even funny!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

The man cracks me up. And when I quit laughing, I really he's made an important point.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Knitters are as witty as needlepointers and there are more of them. But Franklin is in a class by himself.

Edy said...

A knitting male version of Coni Rich. Too funny! Thanks for the site.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Bookmark Franklin's blog. You'll not regret it!