Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Little More Santa, Coloured Twist



Last night I found another cut thread on Surfin Santa so out came the glue again.  About 1/6 of his edging is hand sewn on. I'll try to get a lot more of it done today and probably tomorrow.  The weather report says we are going to get 2-4 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow morning, so I'll probably be at home, stitching and wondering why I didn't move to the Bahamas then.

So out came the laying tool case and I worked on the background and another flower stem.  I hope you can see the cashmere squares that I added to the background at the upper and lower left corners of the front of the laying tool case.  They look very pretty with the gold flecked canvas.

I also couched a piece of twist as the last flower stem on the right.  It has a curve that will eventually surround a flower bud of beads.  Twist is a British metallic thread, often used in military braid and very elaborate court costumes.  It's gorgeous stuff and I have a little stash of it that I got from Michele Roberts.  I think stitchers can usually find it at ANG and EGA Seminars and at Callaway in the stores set up for the events.  Twist comes in solid colors and in barber pole stripes that mix two colors.  I choose a copper and gold mix that looks brown and gold when added to the laying tool case.  It's lovely stuff and adds great elegance to any design.  I hope I have enough left for the back side as my strand was only about 9 inches but I can always improvise and use another thread if necessary.

By the way, I couched my twist with DMC's three ply thin metallic that comes on a spool.  My color is Or Clair or light gold. It holds the twist almost invisibly and is a strong thread, well able to tie down the twist on the back side.

All of the front side of the laying tool case is finished except for the beads that I'll add at the end.  Now I can turn my attention to the back side, which has a more elaborate leaf and flower stem design on it.

Once I get the trim attached to Surfin Santa, that is!

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jane,

Bearing in mind I know NOTHING about the processes of the work you're doing, so feel free to dismiss my ramblings as "uneducated" :-) - haven't you got room for another block at the bottom - top-right of the 3 rows? And to me the gap between scissors-handle and leaf is asking for a few blocks as well, even if you don't do all the background.

Just 2p (and possibly not worth even that much)

The whole thing looks very elegant already - whatever you decide.

Glenis

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Hi, Glenis. You are right, there's room for more blocks on the canvas. I have stopped adding them because I'm thinking about adding crystals to the background in those areas. They are supposed to be tent stitched but I don't want to cover the background canvas and hide all those gold sparkles. So I'm thinking beads but I need to stitch the back side and then make a decision on what beads to use for the flower buds before I figure out the background.

You are right--we can put something in those spots. But I want to wait until the main design is finished. Filling in those areas may be Too Much. So for once I'm waiting to finish the background until everything else is done!

Sharp eyes, Glenis.