Thursday, March 3, 2011

The D.C. Subway Map is Finished

The Ruth Schmuff Metro Map is Done!
Tuesday I got a wonderful surprise in my email In Box--a photo of Barbara's finished D.C. subway map!  You may remember that Barbara was my first volunteer with a problem canvas she was willing to blog stitch here.  I asked Barbara for her final thoughts on stitching this design and here is what she said:

"I really want to thank Jane for her help with this canvas. While I have been doing one type of stitching or another since I was 11, I am a relative new comer to painted canvas. I look at them and have no idea what to do. Thanks to reading Jane's, and other, blogs for several years I have made a few feeble attempts on some small canvases but this is the largest one I have attempted without a stitch guide. I must admit with Jane's help I really enjoyed the experience. I have a large stash of threads and got to try out several of them. Some I did not end up using (although it was fun to try them out) but others I did. I especially liked J Walsh Silk Perle and will try and find places to use it again.

I am very pleased with how the piece came out, especially the Capital and the Washington Monument (both of which were Jane's suggestions). Beading the Capital was more difficult than I thought it would be - getting all those beads to fit, and doing black on black was very hard to see, but I am very pleased with the result. While those are my favorite parts I am pleased with the whole thing and really want to give another of the canvases in my pile a go. Jane - thank you again for a wonderful learning experience."

Barbara, everyone here is thrilled to see how your subway map turned out and appreciated greatly the opportunity to discuss this canvas and various approaches to stitching it.  Those who would like to re-read the articles about Barbara's canvas can put "metro map" in the search box in the upper left corner.

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com and at http://chstitchguides.blogspot.com

10 comments:

Front Range Stitcher said...

I like the way this turned out and hope Barbara will continue with painted canvas. Nice job, thank you Jane!

mskathk said...

We visited DC last April. I love the way this canvas looks-- the train stations, the compass, the monuments-- it brings back such fond memories of a great trip. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

What a great job, Barbara and Jane! I hope everyone clicks on the image for a closeup look - it's fabulous. The Washington monument is a great idea. The Metro stations and river and parks all work very well. I'm jealous of your speed, Barbara - my turkey is not yet half done.

Nancy

Missy Gray said...

This looks terrific!

Margaret said...

Very nice, indeed. The green and gold compass really is a seal of approval. I love painted canvas and I hope that you do too.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Nancy, the Metro Map is a third the size of your turkey! You will be done with him before you know it, though.

Anonymous said...

Good to know Barbara enjoyed doing it - you must both be very pleased...

Beth in IL said...

Great finish Barbara! The beads add so much to the piece.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Rachel, I am swanning around CH with the Big Head, I am so proud! I think Barbara enjoyed herself and I think she might be tempted to try another painted canvas again soon.

NCPat said...

Congratulations to both of you! I did the enlarge as much as I could and thoroughly enjoyed your creativity! Thanks!