Saturday, August 8, 2026

Gingham on the Diagonal



This is my nephew's dog, Lolly Parton.  I stitched an ornament for him featuring Lolly one Christmas but I ran into a problem--I wanted to do a gingham background but with the squares turned on their points to make a diamond.  This is regular gingham checks--

I wanted a background like this--

I tried to stitch squares in all tent stitches but as usual with tent stitches, the left sides looked jagged.  I mentioned my dilemna to Gay Ann Rogers, who immediately fixed the problem with a sketch that I've diagrammed for you for clarity's sake.  Perfect!


Isn't that clever?  Gay Ann Rogers combined tent and reverse tent to create diamond shapes that have smooth edges!  Gay Ann graciously allowed me to share her idea here so that we all can do great gingham diamonds, too.  Thanks, GAR!  You are the best!

Here's Lolly's ornament, by the way.  Perfect.





Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
and at http://chstitchguides.blogspot.com
© Copyright May 30, 2026 Jane M. Wood. All rights reserved.

No comments: