Monday, January 12, 2009

Introducing the Baroque Fish UPDATED


The next Household Pet Guardian Angel from Kandy Merric's inventive mind is the Baroque Fish. You can see the original model over on the right side of the page.

The drawing is faint as I don't want the color to show through my threads but you get the general idea. This angel has a beautiful stitch for its skirt that is partly underway. I am using 4 plies of Splendor silk in a dark turquoise blue #S865 for the skirt.

The trim is lovely and much simpler to stitch than the Victorian Parakeet's. I am using green 008 Kreinik 1/16" ribbon and a doubled strand of Tiara #T109 which is a blend of blue and green and gold to stitch the pattern. The front panel of her skirt is DMC #5 cotton perle in a light blue #959. That same thread is used on the sleeve which I have started. If you look at the model, you'll see the sleeve is slashed and an inner, contrasting color shows through. That's what I am stitching now.

Speaking of angels, are you familiar with the needle minder magnets from Kelmscott Designs? Their newest magnets are alphabet angels. The best photos I found of all the angels are here, although they are available at many U.S. shops. Many thanks to Nordic Needle, whose shop e-newsletter mentioned these!
https://www.sewandso.co.uk/ran2702-0.html

Finally, this week is the beginning of the needle retreat at Callaway Gardens. Gay Ann Rogers teaches there and is starting to post photos on her website. Ever wondered what the editor of NP Now looks like? Who actually runs the show? Etc.? You can browse here and see new photos almost every day of the two session's fun.
http://www.gayannrogers.com/

UPDATE: I've changed the URL to GAR's website to her home page. Find the Callaway link for there as the actual address changes when she updates with more pictures. The third set of photos is a slide show of the beautiful items in Betty Chen Louis' classroom. If you are a fan of her work, you are going to love this!

Jane/Chilly Hollow
Main blog at http://blog.360.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

10 comments:

NCPat said...

This is going to be amazing! I think I will grab a coffee and wait for more!

Beth in IL said...

Thanks for enabling us with more fun tools. I saw the ones on the Nordic Needle catalog. Just what I need!

Edy said...

You are so energetic! How do you find the time to stitch so much and more importantly, so beautifully?
I adore your three ladies and a peach.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jane--

The pet guardian angels are wonderful. I'm enjoying seeing how everyone is stitching them up.

I think the Gay Ann Rogers URL is wrong by one character. Here's the one that works for me. Notice the underscore after the word Callaway.

http://www.gayannrogers.com/site_2/Callaway_.html

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I copy/pasted the URL from GAR's website. Wonder if different types of machines view it differently or if she's moved things slightly as she adds pix? Guess we'd all better go to the home page and find the Callaway links from there. Thanks much for pointing this out Belle. Mysteries of the Internet strike again!

I also am enjoying seeing the various angels. They are going to make an awesome set!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Thanks for the nice compliment, Edy. I stitch every night without fail. It is amazing how much you get done if you stick to it. Thank you for the compliment on my skills. I've practiced a lot! You do get better with time and I've been needlepointing since 1988. Boy! That seems like a long time ago and just yesterday simultaneously.

Jane, watching Time run in CH

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Beth, I'm thinking I need an angel alphabet needle minder in JAMLW, all my initials! Who's with me on this!

Jane, rushing off to magnatize my world in CH

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Pat, don't hold your breath or let that coffee get cold. I really need to drop this and do finishing--I've just been too pooped at night after a hectic weekend and a hectic work schedule.

CynW said...

Is it possible the Betty Chen Louis's photos are still somewhere on GAR's website? I have been unable to locate them :(

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I bet that Gay Ann has removed them. Let me look....

Yes, she's putting up photos of the regional EGA seminar now. Sorry you missed them. There were several photos of her pieces but none were very good closeups, so you didn't miss a lot. Sorry! The Internet links I find are rarely there for long!