Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mermaids Instead of Vampires UPDATED


If you are rolling your eyes because your teenager is wild about books featuring vampires, or if you have noticed all the vampire movies and cable tv shows, then you might wonder why this phenomenon hasn't hit the world of needlepoint yet.

It has, except instead of vampires, we have canvases covered in mermaids. Leigh Designs has a new series of eight large (12x24 inches) canvases called Sirens. Her mermaids are elegant, graceful creatures with a slightly creepy edge. I can definitely see these babes luring sailors to their doom!

Kelly Clark has a new pair of mermaids, a blonde and a redhead, who are more childish looking, but their names (Diva and Vanity) hint at a darker side.

The redhaired Vanity is my personal favorite but you'll love seeing what this shop has done with Diva.

I could go on and on but I'm running out of time this morning. My point is that the mermaids above aren't just decorative designs--they illustrate dangerous allure or human failings like self-centeredness, etc. I think the popular vampire stories are really talking about what we are or wish we were. That's why these fanciful creatures are so popular.
Anyone else have a favorite mermaid canvas?
More mermaids--TS Designs doll
Dream House Ventures mermaid bookmark--
The Point of It All mermaid belt--
Cooper Oaks and Patti Mann mermaids--
Karen Grant mermaid stocking cuff--

UPDATE: Judy reminded me of the fabulous mermaid rollup she stitched. It's a Squiggee design and it is FABULOUS! Here are some of Judy's ideas for stitching her.
http://fairy-crafts.blogspot.com/2008/11/joy-of-painted-canvas.html

Barbara Bergsten has a wonderful mermaid sized to work as a purse insert or just a cute little framed piece to remind us of the beach.
http://www.barbarabergstendesigns.com/NPC14%20Mermaid%20Needlepoint.jpg

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

6 comments:

Judy O said...

Jane, I can't resist -
Do you know why mermaids wear seashells?
B shells are too small and d shell are too large.
Judy

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Judy, you are TOO funny!

Jane, laughing in CH

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Gail Hendrix of Squiggee Designs has a FABULOUS mermaid roll-up!! I have stitched it.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Thanks, Judy! I knew there was a roll up mermaid I'd seen but I couldn't remember where. I'll add her to the list!

Possibilities, Etc. said...

I will never again be able to look at a mermaid without giggling over why they wear "sea shells" instead of B or D. LOL

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Judy certainly made us all laugh, didn't she? LOL