Monday, October 12, 2009

Needlepointers' World



I've been thinking recently about Blog's visitors and the huge variety of personalities and styles there are in the world of needlepointers.  You all know me--I am into painted canvases and like realistic designs, wonderful shading, and designs with Asian themes.  I am a threadaholic, and there's nothing I like better than using a huge variety of thread brands on my embellished painted canvases in as many stitches as I can dream up.

Folks like me are a small subset of Needlepointers' World, though.

I expect the vast majority of us like to do projects in all tent stitches and only occasionally use a thread other than wool.  Some of us have been stitching since we were children; some of us started yesterday.  A great many of us love charts and counted thread.  Some of us are into miniature stitching and over one on linen.  Some of us adore silk gauze, some of us stitch only rugs.  Some of us refuse to use stretcher bars and some of us hate roller bars.  Some of us only stitch in hand, some of us only stitch on painted canvases.  Some of us have one designer whose canvases or booklets we obsessively collect and stitch.  Some of us will stitch anything, at least once.  Some of us are stitching for posterity or at least our grandkids.  Some of us never think of the future.  Some of us buy old NP pieces at yard sales and refurbish them into fantastic pillows and upholstered chairs and footstools.  Some of us only want the most modern looking designs, some of us prefer the Victorian Berlin wool work look to our stitching.  Some of us love the English kits and pillows, some of us want only framed NP or pieces we can wear.

When you visit Blog, you get me and my own personal style.  But don't think I don't realize there is a whole world of needlepointers Out There who are different than me.  I know you are there and I try to take your tastes and styles into consideration and try to mention things I know are more to your taste than mine.  After all, we all use needles and thread and NP canvas to stitch our dreams.

Our dreams vary, that's all.

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow
Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com
Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane,

I've been reading your blog for only a few months and I love it! Please do not worry about trying to please everyone. There aren't many places on the internet with such in-depth discussions of stitching painted canvases. Sometimes the canvases you discuss aren't one I'd choose for myself, but I still learn a lot from your stitch and thread suggestions. Please follow your own personal style, as does any stitcher, designer, artist, musician, author, etc.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Anon, I am glad you like Blog and understand that I post my own tastes but try to remember there are other styles Out There reading my blog (and probably rolling their eyes--LOL).

NCPat said...

LOL! To each his own, and like you, my philosophy is "my piece, my perogative"! That gives me the freedom to change stitches, colors, fiber without hesitation. There are no written laws except that the thread goes in the needle as
Sharon says.