Saturday, July 24, 2010

Gone Shopping


Yesterday I left the chores behind and made the long trek towards civilization in order to visit Needlewoman East's Xmas in July sale.  (It continues through today, by the way, so if you are in the D.C. suburbs, you can participate in the sale.)  Of course I bought things!  You'll notice that my Total Stash Credits dropped by 21 since yesterday.  I didn't count the new tubes of Sundance beads or the lovely dichromatic glass magnet either.  But enough about me.  I took photos of the wonderful things I saw (with the shop owners' permission).



Isn't this lovely?  I was lucky enough to arrive just as the stitcher did to pick it up.




Here she is.  Her grandmother told me she raised two generations of stitchers but I didn't get a photo of all three of them as the middle generation was in the back, picking threads.  You probably can't tell from the photos, even if you click to see large versions, but the tent stitches are perfect on this.  Great job!

Here you see the owner of Needlewoman East hard at work on the phone.  The shop was crowded so I didn't take many photos here.  Most folks were really too busy to be interrupted to pose, tell me their stories and show off their bargains.  I did want you to see the wonderful cat bronze who holds Needlewoman East's cards, though.


My final photo from Needlewoman East is of a finished piece on the wall just behind Liz' head.  This is Two Cabanas, from Nancy's Needle.  It caught my eye and I was told that there is a whole series of Two pieces from Nancy's Needle.  Since I don't highlight many counted canvaswork designs, this is for Blog readers who love charts.  I was told there are a whole series of these and I found many of them on Nordic Needle's website.  There are two lighthouses, two gingerbread houses, two cabins, two barns, and even two haunted houses!  They are all about the same size-- 8 inches long and four high.  It's a charming series called "Small Monthly Quilt Series" and I hope you have fun looking at them here.


Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

3 comments:

RobinG said...

That kimono may be one of the beautiful things I've ever seen ... is it *all* tent? There are a number of such lovelies available; can you tell me the designer of this one? This may elevate you to enabler par excellence! Indiana Robin

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Hello, Robin. I think this is a Lee kimono. As far as I could tellthrough this plastic cover, everything was tent stitched except for the black stand up collar that looked like straight upright stitches. There was some gold metallic on it but I do not know what other threads were involved. This is one of the large Lee kimonos. Her work often came in thrr sizes. I think this was on 18 count. I will post a link after I find one.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Ok, Robin, here is the kimono you like.

http://needlepointbywildflowers.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=16

Lee does many beautiful ones. Here is a selection (although I think the ones whose number start with SPM are from Sophia, not Lee Needle Arts).

http://www.silk-road-needle.com/lees_needle_art_oriental_designs.htm

Have fun deciding!