Monday, January 10, 2011

While You Weren't Watching...

While you were looking at my online postings, I was busy stitching a secret project for Leigh Designs, a model of her Temple of 1000 Cranes, a brand new design.  Ridgewood Needlepoint kindly took a photo of it framed for display at the Leigh Designs booth.  She's right--I used four shades of Chinese red in High Cotton on the temple itself.  The rocks are done with another new thread--the fabulous Planet Earth 6 Ply Silk in two shades of gray for the rocks and their deepest black for the temple interior and the cranes' wings.  Both new threads are terrific and ones I'll use again and again.
http://ridgewoodneedlepoint.blogspot.com/2011/01/tnna-show-day-two.html

A stitch guide for Temple of 1000 Cranes will be available in February and possibly earlier, depending on my family responsibilities.  This is one of a series of eight designs, all of oriental fantasy pagodas.  Colleen at Needle Works has blogged photos of all eight of the buildings.
http://theneedleworks.typepad.com/the_needle_works/2011/01/long-beach-2011.html

Going back to the first link, Eileen at Ridgewood also took a photo of one of the new bags from Colonial Designs (they distribute the Lee leather bags).  That's Leigh holding it.  Leigh has designed several insert canvases for these bags.  I hope photos of them turn up on her website today also.  I know there is a magnolia and a Chinese New Year dragon pattern for these inserts.  It is likely the rectangular canvases on the wall behind Leigh's head are those designs but I can't be sure.  Sadly, there are no online photos of the new bags yet besides the one Eileen took, but Leigh says they are fabulous, with lots of pockets and three zippers.

Once Leigh Designs posts photos of the Fantasy Pagoda series online, I'll post more about Temple of 1000 Cranes.  Until then, a partial photo is the header here.

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

11 comments:

NCPat said...

Absolutely gorgeous! You should be so pleased with this one and congratulation for having its' own display table at the show!

momsue84 said...

Stunning!! Beautiful! Wow!

woolwoman said...

Really stunning work Jane - I'm glad to hear you were impressed with High Cotton - i did order a few skeins on your recommendation but have not tried yet and I like the planet earth silks also but I think I like NPI just as well.
Cheers! Melody

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

To each his/her own, Melody. I don't like NP Inc. silk because of the way it feels when I stitch with it. I have some beautiful colors of it in my stash but the shop that carried it moved away. (sob)

So I stick with what I can get locally. I love the colors and sheen of High Cotton but Planet Earth's 6 Ply Silk in black is marvelous stuff. It has no sheen, and is deepest and darkest black. It is perfect when you want no shine. Oddly, their grays have a lot of silk shine but I'll be using the black on Luna when I am able to return to stitching her as I want the contrast it will give me with shine black silks.

MNStitcher said...

So sneaky! Can't wait to see a full picture of what you stitched!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jane, this is just splendid. There aren't enough superlatives. Your stitch choices are, as usual, spot on. I wanted to click on the Temple of 1000 Cranes photo to get a full screen view, but couldn't. I don't know how you managed to get this stitched along with all you stitched for the blog!

Nancy

Palma said...

Awesome Jane, what a great work. Still stunned. I hope we get a full picture of it soon.

One question: where do we get High cotton from? Any online store you know of?

Melinda said...

Incredible, Jane! Beautiful stitching not to mention a beautiful canvas. I look forward to hearing more about this project.

Anonymous said...

Jane

I love what you did with the Pagoda. Absolutely stunning. Look forward to seeing more. I always look forward to seeing what Leigh come up with.

Thanks so much for the updates from Market. it is greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to the next entry. LOL

Sue VanderNoor

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

High Cotton is certainly available from Waste Knot in Arlington, VA and I think Needle Works in Austin, TX is going to start carrying it. Either place has good customer service. Google them for their websites.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Nancy, there won't be a full photo of Temple of 1000 Cranes until Leigh Designs officially posts the series on their website. And probably you'll have to wait until I have time to do a posting.

Dinner calls....