Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Luna Reappears

Ladies of the Night:  Luna



Remember Luna?  She is a Leigh Designs piece from the Ladies of the Night series.  Luna has seven sisters, each "more beautiful than the next" as the fairy tale says.  You can see the entire family of canvases here.
http://www.leighdesigns.com/Grp513x.html

Remilla has been stitched by Beth of ThreadworX and a stitch guide/thread kit is available from ThreadworX if you want to stitch her the way Beth did.
http://www.threadworx.com/productDetails.php?prd_id=1087

When I put Luna away due to a family emergency, I had just finished beading the bottom of her long gown.  To refresh your memory, the tree, moon and clouds, tombstones and the ground and grass at Luna's feet have all been stitched.  Luna's face and arms have been stitched down to her fingers as well.  That means I still have to tackle Luna's cloak, sleeves, her hair, her fingers, jewelry, and the two ravens.  In other words, she is about half done.

If you want to refresh your memories of Luna to date, just use the search box at the top left of this page.  Enter Luna and all the previous blog articles should come up.

While I re-read my progress on Luna, fans of the 17th Century Reproduction Embroidered Jacket featured on the Thistle Threads blog that is currently on display at Winterthur will be pleased to hear the museum has posted a description of the jacket's manufacture on their website.  It's a PDF file and you can read it by clicking here--it's an amazing piece of work when you read through all the steps that had to happen to bring the jacket to life.
http://www.winterthur.org/pdfs/Plimoth-Jacket.pdf

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com and at http://chstitchguides.blogspot.com

8 comments:

Robin said...

It's good to see the ole' girl back. Funny thing, my next stitch guide to write is Remilia (Leigh 5137). I'll keep my blinders on.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Luna. I can't wait to see what Jane has in store for you next. Your long hair looks like a real challenge to me.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

What kind of thread did you use on the dress? I was thinking of a velvet with some blending filiment to add the sparkle. Need to pull the threads I got for her already and see what I have. I love the beads in the skirt.

Have you don't any of Leigh's showgirls? Any suggestions there????

Sandra - who is trying to get her angel off the floor stand so I can start on my dragon :-)

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Luna.
Hope this also means "the family" is sorted for the present.
Glenis

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Thanks for asking about my mother, Glenis. She is much improved physically and settled into her new assisted living apartment. My trips to see her are fewer and further apart now, so I can settle down to a large project again, We feel very lucky that she has good long term care insurance and we found a good place for her close to family and friends.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Hello, Sandra! Say Hello to the dragon canvas for me. I can't wait to see photos of it once you can start.

I used Impressions on Luna's gown (one black, two shades of gray) plus three colors of beads: Silver, Gunmetal Gray, and a few silver-lined Crystal.

I have no idea what to do with the showgirls, but I know that the stunner stitched by Stitch Niche in Mississippi using a lot of single strands of silk and quite a few metallics and beads. I think building up the feathers stitch by stitch is a very good idea on the Leigh Showgirl canvases.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Sandra, forgot to say that I tried Petite Very Velvet but it wasn't as smooth and velvety looking as I expected. I think the area is too large to keep the stitches smooth as even Petite Very Velvet is a bit thick for 18 count in all tent stitches.

NCPat said...

Oh, good! I can't wait for the next update on this piece!