Monday, November 1, 2010

More Beads While We Wait UPDATED


I'm eager for the November newsletters to appear at The Needle Works and Stitch Niche.  I always enjoy seeing them and Colleen says she will post NWKS' today.  But we are in different time zones, so I wait....
http://theneedleworks.com/

http://www.needlepointyaya.com/Newsletter.html

UPDATE:  NWKS' newsletter is up.  Don't miss the explanation of Fish Eye Turkeywork (so easy!) and the new book that helps you find the right stitch for an odd shape.

Fortunately I have beading and basketweave to do!  I'm trying to decide whether to introduce a few crystal beads to the gunmetal gray ones in a few places that need highlights at the bottom of Luna's hem.  Any opinions?

I am going to continue a black section of the gown while I ponder this and revisit "The Blind Banker" in PBS' Sherlock series.  I have to say I have a lot of sympathy with Dr. Watson whose first date with a lady he meets at his temp job goes very very wrong!
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sherlock/watch.html

By the way, fellow bloggers who use Blogger.com will be interested in the article below about photo storage limits.  I've started to clear out duplicate photos and photos from the Canvas of the Day that are stored in my Blogger album since it was nearly half full.  Eventually I won't be able to upload photos if I don't delete some, so don't be surprised if some photos disappear from articles.  I'm deleting ones I think unimportant to the narrative to make room for more.
http://tips-for-new-bloggers.blogspot.com/2007/08/manage-blogger-image-storage-space.html

Written by Jane/Chilly Hollow Blogging at http://chillyhollownp.blogspot.com Archived Yahoo 360 postings at http://profiles.yahoo.com/chillyhollow

8 comments:

Goldylox99 said...

I suggest adding the crystals along the bottom on the hem. When I am stitching something like this, I use the 2 mm crystals in a skip tent (or basketweave twill) stitch, sewing in the crystals between the basketweave stitches. Go to this website to see some ballgowns used in ballroom dancing. Generally, for dancing, they will not have many stones on the hem, because it can make it too heavy, but they would be gorgeous here!
http://www.chrisanne.us/

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Thanks, Goldy. I had lots of fun looking at the gowns for ballroom dancing. Did you see the Tanya gown under the Sponsored Gowns section. Only $4000+!

But Luna would wear something like that. I know she would! LOL

Goldylox99 said...

I have several beautiful ballgowns and Latin dresses, so I know well what some of the designers charge (although you can buy them secondhand, and some places rent them). This is where I first found the Swarovski crystals that I incorporated into my needlework. I love the Tanya gown. There are many other talented designers out there - google them if you have time to see what they have.

Luna would love some of these gowns. I'm sure your inspiration will make her fabulous.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Goldy is right - this would be so much easier if you would do the basketweave stitches first and add the beads next. You can make little dots with a white paint pen where you want to leave bead spaces - much much easier on the eyes and the fingers, and the beads will show up better.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to let you know that over the weekend I took a road trip up to Stitches By the Bay in Monterey. I live in San Diego, so it was only an 8 hr drive. It is really sad that they are closing. They have a great shop, it's laid out very user-friendly, by color. Every inch of space is covered with canvases and there is a large area for stitching. I didn't ask why they are closing for several reasons: the conversation in the shop was lively and animated and I didn't want to drag down the mood and the lady at the cash register [Mac computer] was stressed and not very conversation-friendly. When I shared that I was from San Diego and that I was sad the store was closing, they just said "we are too, but that nothing lasts forever." Thanks Jane for sharing this info, I am glad that I was able to visit. Keep up the good work girl!!!

NCPat said...

Good ideas on the beads.....love the dresses!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Lisa, thank your for the update on Stitches By the Bay. I am very sad that they are closing but I am happy that you were able to go say goodbye to the shop and its wonderful staff. They are right--nothing lasts forever. Even if the economy wasn't in Depression mode, folks want to retire, get ill, have family issues that need all their attention, etc. and can't keep a shop open. So I am very grateful for all the shops we have, wherever they may be.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Judy, I want the beads clustered here and there, not laid out regularly in basketweave. One section, the gray one one the extreme left, I did in basketweave, skipping areas where the beads should go, but it was very hard to see where the beads should go after the stitching. I think I'll use your idea of dotting the intersections where beads should go, then basketweave the area, then go back and add the beads.

Thanks for the tip! Even though I don't want beads spread out evenly over the area, I can still use your bead dot idea to position my basketweave and later the beads. You are the best!